Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play certain songs anymore

Solved!

Can't play certain songs anymore

About 2 days ago I noticed that alot of the songs in my playlists and songs in other peoples playlists seem to be removed. I can't play them anymore even though I have Spotify Unlimited. Does anybody have an idea as to what the problem might be? The song title that used to be "white" is now grey and it says "this song is not available anymore" but a few days ago I didn't have a problem playing them.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well .mp4 files should work, it's .m4p that we have problems with. It might be worth updating Quicktime - that does work for .m4a files at least.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

72 Replies

I have Spotify Premium and I am experiencing the same problem. It's only like this on my mobile phone though; I can play the songs on my PC...

EDIT: I can play the songs if I search for them or add them to a playlist of my own. Syncing the specific playlist from my PC doesn't help. For example I can only play 14/40 songs from the playlist "Topsify US ROCK / ALTERNATIVE TOP 40".

Hey guys, could you provide us with any links to specific tracks that you're having this with?

I can give them a go myself and see what's up.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

I can't play the highlighted songs from this playlist on my mobile phone (using the android app on ICS 4.0.2). I can play the songs on my PC. On my mobile phone I can play them all as long as I simply search for them (didn't help to put them in a playlist of my own as I wrote in my first post).

Topsify US ROCK / ALTERNATIVE TOP 40

playlist.jpg

EDIT: Came to my mind that I am writing in the wrong section on this forum so I probably don't have the same problem as Silver-Pirate.

Figured out that I can't play the songs that are "linked" to the same song on a new place/album. So as long time as add the "new" song to my playlist everything seems to work fine on my mobile phone. Don't understand why the android app isn't as smart as the PC so that it can play the song though? Will this perhaps be fixed later on? Will take quite some time to redo all of my playlists Smiley Sad

Sorry for taking up space in your thread Silver-Pirate.

Linked songs:

playlist2.png

With mine, I can play the songs on my phone but I can't play certain ones on my laptop. I'm noticing they are local files, unsure that has something to do with it. These files though are also on my phone locally. I double click on them, nothing happens. The time marker also isn't there, see the screenshot. Here's the link to a few of the songs that don't play:

Coldplay – Clocks

Evanescence – Bring Me To Life

Linkin Park – Crawling

Crawling

Do you know what format the songs you have stored locally are in? It might be Spotify trying to play the Local Files (taking priority over streaming from Spotify) first but not being able to for some reason or other.

Richard, I'm sorry I'm just seeing this.

To answer your question, they are in mp4 format as they are from iTunes. Could this be the reason they don't play? I can't recall if they ever played actually, don't think I ever paid attention. These files are local to my phone as well though but they play fine on my phone and iPod Touch.

Thanks,

Crystal

Marked as solution

Well .mp4 files should work, it's .m4p that we have problems with. It might be worth updating Quicktime - that does work for .m4a files at least.

Hey Richard! Just saw this topic and same thing is happening to me. I have spotify premium,  and can't seem to have available, tracks that I used to have and listen on my playlist.

I did not have them sync or "available offline" mode. I have the exact same problem as Silver-Pirate:

"The song title that used to be "white" is now grey and it says "this song is not available anymore" but a few days ago I didn't have a problem playing them", but all answers seemed to focus on music store on the computer, rather than online mode.

They wont work on my phone or computer. Using iPhone4 and Mac OS X.

Below, screenshot from an album I didn't have any problem until last week, and now only 2 songs are available.

Thanks

Picture 3.png

Hey, try to remove the whole Spotify's cache.

You can check path to cache in Edit - Preferences.

All the best,

Community founder

Approved also your image. Thanks for sharing it.

If you search them in your mobile app (spotify) and add them to a playlist from your mobile/ipod, on there then it should sync

I can't play Mac Miller - Missed calls anymore?

It is not availeble for my country, Norway, anymore?

I have the same issue, with songs i already own that are set up in I-Tunes,

Is there a fix for this or a way of disabling Spotify to play the locally stored file?

Hey CarlRE!

You can disable Spotify from searching local in Edit - Preferences.

Worked a treat cheers.

How come certain songs are not available like Metallica, copyright issues im guessing?

Yes.

Metallica, Rammstein and for example Pink Floyd choosed to keep their music out from Spotify. Actually they believe you purchase a CD if Spotify can't provide tracks for you. Spotify respect those artists, so they can't download catalogue for you, if artist do not want fans are listening in Spotify.

I hope they change mind soon.

I personally wait Rammstein to Spotify, but they does not want my money. So Spotify is empty in Rammstein search, some cover bands are just **bleep**ty, so I can't enjoy Rammstein. But, I was a big fan of Rammstein and now I can't enjoy their music - so I can't say when I listened Rammstein last time. So if no music I like in Spotify, I just search something else. So excuse me Rammstein, but you got what you wanted. I do not listen Rammstein anymore.

So recently out of nowhere I would select certain songs I listen to all the time and some of them don't play the same track as they use to and it will just be random stuff and recording I've never heard in my life but the song title and albums are the same. How do I get them back to normal and playing the song it says it is.

Suggested posts