Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

i am still having the same problem. "cant play current track" and yet i was able to listen to all of my music yesterday

Hey everyone,

Since updating my Spotify yesterday, I am also getting the ''Can't play current track'' notification''.

Can anyone help out?

Cheers,

Brian

Hey so I think I found a solution. Check if your hard drive is nearly full. I deleted some of the files on my laptop and got it working again, but when I added the large files back on again the "Can't play the current track" the notice did not come up again.

Hope that helps

Regards

same problem here!

really anoying! not free space problem!

please sove this!

I've had the same issue this morning that started immediately after performing an update.  I couldn't play any file without it skipping to the next song with an error message at top saying: "Can't play the current track".  The next track plays fine, unless you try to double click to play it again, then that track will fail as well.  I'm performing a clean install (full uninstall and reinstall) will post the results here later.

Marked as solution

The clean re-install fixed my problem.  

It's also worth trying the work around on this bugs topic:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Bugs/Desktop-quot-Can-t-Play-Current-Track-quot-Error-on-Fre...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

The reinistall take 2 mins tops and completely fixed the problem.  You also won't lose any data. 

It worked ! I unchecked high quality streaming and bam no issues since !

Spoiler
I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify - solved problem. 

Seconding this. Tried a re-install/repair, but there seems to be no repair option, so that does nothing but re-open the player.

Yu must uninstall and then re-install which does takes barely 2 mins. You wont lose anything as jaybird says, you just need your account login details and everything will be back.

Marked as solution

In Spotify desktop, I was using premium trial but when it went back to free version high quality streaming did not turn off. (only avalable to premium users)

If you're using a free account  then make sure the high quality streaming is turned off in preferences 

It worked for me.

Thank you, that worked for me too!  Spotify really should address this bug. 

I'm having the same problem. Spotify seems to be dead now. The last problem I had was most tracks starting and within the first few seconds restarting. Now nothing plays. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. To bad Spotify can't be reached or respond to these problems. Guess it's time to find another service.

Have you unticked the High Quality streaming option @jimcordero ?

Peter

I have, i've also reinstalled and disabled hardware accelleration. Nothing has worked. This file is fine as it plays in every other program except spotify for some reason.

It was the high streaming setting for me too. I tried everything to fix this before finding this out. I tried re-installing and manually deleting the cache folder etc. Thanks for the solution.

After an update I started having this issue again on Mac.  Uninstalling/reinstalling solved the issue.

It's not fine. I've been having the issue for three weeks now. I'm just about ready to uninstall and quit using Spotify completely if this isn't resolved soon!

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 11.21.46 AM.png
Marked as solution

@Gods88angels - Have you unselected the "Enable High Quality Streaming" option in the Edit > Preferences menu as suggested above?

Peter

Suggested posts