Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play current track?

Solved!

Can't play current track?

Keep getting 'Can't play current track' message randomly when I am listening to music. Stops my playlists dead (as in does not skip to the next tune) and also someitmes tunes that dont work one minute work the next. Becoming very frustrating, don't understand why this is happening. 

I am premium member.

221 Replies

I have the same problem with one song. Others are fine. I am using free version, so high quality can't even be turned on and it never was turned on.

Any solutions?

I tried all other suggestions and this worked, I will say that I dont get how that was ever checked for me originally because I never had the trial enabled. *shrug* It is possible that sometimes through updates and so on the default values change. I assume this is the case for me.

I recently encountered this problem " can't play the current track " FLAG - whenever I try to play ANY song on Spotify Mac desktop, it started all of a sudden a week ago, and hasn't fixed ! .. I removed spotify, restarted but nothing.  This thing is, my account works fine on my phone via the same network connection ... very strange, but I just removed spotify because I CAN"T BE BOTHERED with the hassle... there are many other services out there that we can use Spotify, you have been very complacent for a long time, and it has and will be your RUIN.

@David wrote:
This may be related somewhat some some connection issues we had recently. Should be fine now, however. Are you still encountering this message at all?

" This may be related somewhat some some connection issues we had recently. Should be fine now, however. Are you still encountering this message at all? "

Really !?  Is this what passing for a coherent answer from Spotify now adays, perhaps you could explain to us all what " somewhat some some " means ?

Also, wording like " should be fine now " and " however, are you still having problems " don't really inspire us with confidence that you actually know what is going on or what you are speaking of.

This is typical of Spotify and why I do not pay for a subscription ANYMORE ! 

I recently encountered this problem " can't play the current track " FLAG - whenever I try to play ANY song on Spotify Mac desktop, it started all of a sudden a week ago, and hasn't fixed ! .. I removed spotify, restarted but nothing.  This thing is, my account works fine on my phone via the same network connection ... very strange, but I just removed spotify because I CAN"T BE BOTHERED with the hassle... there are many other services out there that we can use Spotify, you have been very complacent for a long time, and it has and will be your RUIN.

I wish that was the case with me. The option for high quality is turned off. I can't play one song - Ella Henderson - Ghost. It happened once before, I removed the song and added another one (the same song, but another file). It worked for a few days and now again

Hello, same problem here! I'm currently using the free version but I've had premium before. Most songs play if you try to start them multiple times. Some, however, don't play even then.

The problem's everywhere, not just on my playlists.

And playing still stops after every single song. 

The commercials are working fine, however.

Exactly the same problem here too 😞

Free version, all the songs play if you try to start them multiple times, but stops at the end of every song...

OSX 10.9.5, with spotify 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

Web player works fine with my account.

same problem: premium user: 

as an example, I can play the first 3 tracks of PJ Harvey "To bring you my love" every track thereafter I get the Spotiy blue bar and "Cant play the current track" - what makes something like this even more frustating is that Spotify dont offer in their "help" guide (cough) a simple and quicik explanation for what this might be - in fact that dont offer an easily accessible guide to any of their messages - leaving people having to resort to Google to try and find out what the problem might be - instead of providing customer service to their CUSTOMERS

Alright guys so this worked for me. A couple of my songs in certain folders wouldn't work. I would try to play a mp3 from a location like...

Desktop\Folder\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4\Folder5\Song
But when I moved it to a different location the song worked perfectly fine. I know it sounds stupid. Try moving the MP3 file if it's a local track to a different location. 

I bought a soundtrack and it was categorized pretty accurately so that explains the folders in folders stuff.

Work perfectly for me. I think the issue started with my client when I started using a 3rd party software to "clean" the diskspace on my mac, thus deleting are temporary files and likely Spotify music files. 

NO NO NO, NO ONE TRY THIS ! ... wait a second pal, why on earth do you think we should go to the bother of all this FUSS!?

That isn't a fix, it's a confusing mess that most users won't be able to do and another thing, who mentioned local files ? .. we are talking about the whole Spotify streaming service.

Well I use a 3rd party cleaning software, and it was installed weeks ago, and Spotify worked fine... it was all of a sudden that Spotify started this weird behaviour.

I just want to say that I uninstalled Spotify over a week ago now.. and life is fine without it.  I have been using Youtube and listening from other sites, BYE BYE SPOTIFY.

The issue has been around along time - and we are not talking about a peripheral service issue here, we are talking about failure of a fundamental service component. People pay spotiy to listen to music - you listen to music by playing tracks.

If you cant play the track, the first thing you want to know is WHY - and your first point of reference is the Spotify Help - which provides as much useful guidance as would a motorbike servicing guide.

The example I quoted is still valid - in that I still have the same problem. I can play 3 tracks of an album on my PC, but not the rest. I have no local files. I can play the same entire album from my Android phone, or indeed my Logitech Squeezebox - which has a pathetic amount of memory and processing power - the stream originates from the same source one imagines, thus there must be an error in the software or the software setup on my PC. A valid starting point - unfortunately it doesnt help much when no one from Spotify interacts with their customer base with any sensible suggestions - and for such a long standing problem in such a fundamental component of their service offering - its not good enough. 

1) Online Help should provide accurate clear descriptions explaining the meaning of error messages - this is basic good practice

2) when core customer service components fail, fix them or if you cannot fix them immediately, give your customers clear information about time to fix, or if the fix is within their domain of control - tell them

I posted a reply a few days ago, but didn't provide detalis. 

I colleague of mine ran into the same problem this also worked for him: 

- delete spotify using AppCleaner or similar (this will delete your preferences, caches, etc)

- re-install spotify

I've no clue about what's causing the issue, and don't know why Spotify is not providing a fix for that, but at least it's a possible way around the issue.

Hope this helps. 

Well I've tried every fix suggested on this entire thread and not one has worked. I use Spotify in a browser window now instead. 😞

@emath06 wrote:

I posted a reply a few days ago, but didn't provide detalis. 

I colleague of mine ran into the same problem this also worked for him: 

- delete spotify using AppCleaner or similar (this will delete your preferences, caches, etc)

- re-install spotify

I've no clue about what's causing the issue, and don't know why Spotify is not providing a fix for that, but at least it's a possible way around the issue.

Hope this helps. 

Thats works for me!

um teknotel .. why has your post been flagged as a " SOLUTION " .. your post does not even contain a " SOLUTION " to the problem that we are all having.

THIS HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED PEOPLE !

... I also just want to add that these help forums are a JOKE ! ... Spotify let the paying members rake around in the dirt for little bits of possible solutions, WHY SHOULD IT BE THIS WAY ! ? .. it is disgusting, you all pay £10.00 per month ok ... and we are left to figure out glitches on our own ?!

This is why I have uninstalled Spotify and I won't be back after this LAME experience.

ps:  still got the " cant play song " glitch on my mac laptop ... phone is fine. .. but because of all this hassle .. have uninstalled from all my devices

On a Mac.

1. Close Spotify
  2. Browse to: /Users/*Your Name*/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/Users
  3. Throw "Users" into the trash.
  4. Empty trash
  5. Start Spotify

Spotify will remember your profile and playlists but my forget some other stuff. I dont use local files or attach an external device so I have not tested all functionality.

This was just a quick fix for me. Reply with your findings and I may be able to help further. 

This seems to have worked for me. Where tracks previously would refuse to play until I double-clicked them about a dozen times (which kind of defeats the purpose), aftert clearing the Users folder they're now playing fine (could be a fluke of course).

@cainine wrote:

On a Mac.

1. Close Spotify
  2. Browse to: /Users/*Your Name*/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/Users
  3. Throw "Users" into the trash.
  4. Empty trash
  5. Start Spotify

Spotify will remember your profile and playlists but my forget some other stuff. I dont use local files or attach an external device so I have not tested all functionality.

This was just a quick fix for me. Reply with your findings and I may be able to help further. 

Press Ctrl+P unmark everything that you dont need. I did that on everything except for the playback menu.

where i left these checked.

- set the same volume level for all tracks

-hide unplayable tracks

problem solved now i can play songs again, and also the problem with the song repeating itself the first 3-4sec disappeared

So Spotify You need too fix that too go throu the Preference Tab and adress the problems.

Suggested posts