Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert VIP
Tohnmeister
Accepted Solution

Can't reinstall/uninstall Spotify on Windows 7 64-bit

Because of the problem reported in this topic http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Freeze-when-changing-tracks/m-p/4285 I'm trying to uninstall and reinstall Spotify.

First problem: uninstalling through Control Panel, Programs and Features doesn't work. I'm getting the error message "An error occurred while trying to uninstall Spotify. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove Spotify from the Programs and Features list?"

Clicking Yes does not result in the removal of Spotify.

Follow-up problem: when reinstalling Spotify the installer mentions it found another installation of Spotify and asks me if I want to replace that one. I click Yes. After a few seconds the installer reports the following Dutch error "Spotify kon niet worden opgestart (Fout code: 17)". Translated it's something like "Spotify could not be started (Error code: 17)".

So in short:

- Spotify freezes after a few songs, see http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Freeze-when-changing-tracks/m-p/4285

- Spotify cannot be uninstalled.

- Spotify cannot be reinstalled.

Talent Scout
George

Re: Can't reinstall/uninstall Spotify on Windows 7 64-bit

You could try manually deleting the Spotify files...

To do this:

Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

Delete everything there.

Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify

Delete everything there as well.

Then try reinstalling Spotify?

--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!
Gig Goer
pepperdavid

i had the same problem. and tried the fix u said but it didnt work

Music Fan
Jwotherspoon

I am experiencing this exact same issue. My Spotify was locking up, I decided to uninstall/reinstall. I uninstalled it from all of the locations in my computer, went to reinstall and it won't let me because it says I have a version running already. Above suggestion did not work.

Richard

If the Spotify process is still running you could try ending it via the Task Manager.
Just bring it up with ctrl+shift+esc and look for Spotify.exe
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
Music Lover
angiesander

I just did the same thing...I try and reinstall, and it gives me the error 17 message. Getting rather frustrated!

Richard

Any luck running the installation file in compatibility mode? Just right click it, select Properties and then the Compatibility tab.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
Gig Goer
xavinyu

Hey!! It really worked! Thanks a lot!

Gig Goer
Spotifficionado

Yes, that was the secret key indeed! Ah tuning in on me fav tunes again
Concert VIP
Tohnmeister

Same here. Managed to reinstall Spotify by using the compatibility mode (Windows XP SP 3).

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.