Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot play and/or sync local files that are not in the Spotify catalogue

Cannot play and/or sync local files that are not in the Spotify catalogue

I would just like to add to the community's consensus - It is completely illogical to have a feature that scans for 'local files' on a desktop PC and purports to sync them to all your Spotify devices, but then doesn't allow you to play said files that are not in the Spotify catalogue. If the songs were in the Spotify catalogue I wouldn't bother fluffing around importing them in the first place!

I have always been a big supporter of Spotify (premium from day dot) but the fact this isn't a standard feature yet is ridiculous.

Spotify purports to be the all-in-one music application because it allows you to play both local files and files in the Spotify catalogue, then it tries to HIDE the fact (via omission) that you cannot play local files that are not part of the Spotify catalogue - nowhere in Spotify's help sections/FAQs does it have a simple sentence saying you cannot do this. I have just recently decided I wanted to play some old music that (for once) is not in the catalogue, and I thought it would be easy with Spotify's 'local files' features. How wrong I was.

Another great feature severely lacking is the ability to add local files from your Android's local storage. Why do you force me to use the desktop app to do this??!

I just deleted 30GB of music off my SD card on my Android phone, thinking I can just sync what I want to sync by using the desktop app. How wrong I was.

Spotify, fix this or you are going to lose a loyal customer.

2 Replies

Hey there! The place to post a suggestion like this is in the Ideas Board. 

Hope that helps!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Hey @drmit and welcome to the community!

If I get you right they should actually play. Could be that I didn't understand the problem, but Spotify is of course able to play local files that aren't in their library.

Have you tried troubleshooting the issue? Try to follow the steps listed in this thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-Won-t-play-local-files/m-p/541282...

Suggested posts