Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
ldeibler

Chrome Browser Effects Playback

When I am playing music, any interaction with my Chrome browser causes the music to skip.  Every click or even rolling the mouse wheel in Chrome causes this, and I'm able to reproduce this 100% of the time. 

Frustrating- I'm a premium subscriber, and I rely on Chrome for daily work tasks.

Community Legend
krikelin

Re: Chrome Browser Effects Playback

Seems like an issue with Chrome, it sends some signals to the SpotifyWebHelper, which is a localhost http daemon by a spyware or malfunctioning chrome extension.

สวัสดีครับ Music is for the spirit as what food is for the body. Dr. Sounds. Between March 27th - April 5th I will be on vacation and have limited or no access to the internet.
Music Fan
Midget

Same here, Google Crome affects playback, along with other applications, so I would have to disagree and say that spotify is the issue not other applications. 

Music Fan
Drinkydrinks

I have a similar problem, although it happens with any browser I use - Chrome Firefox IEx. I can run lots of programs while Spotify is going, but as soon as I open any browser window or create a new tab Spotify goes nuts. This happens with every browser, every time in any configuration. I can have just Spotify running and as soon as the browser pops up, the current song slows down and sounds like someone talking in a box fan. Sites with lots of ads, flash, and interactive stuff make the problem a lot worse. After everything is loaded or I close the browser, Spotify returns to normal.

Band Member
Rollo_

It almosts sounds like your browser is hogging all your bandwidth to download all the extranious noise on the web page.  What's your connection speed?  Are you running anything else in the background?  Downloading anything? 

1. Install AdBlock Plus browser extension.  This is one of the first things I add to any new install.
  2. Install the FlashBlock browser extension.  2nd thing I install.  You can still watch video and use pages that employ flash, like Spotify's web player for example.  You can and sites to the whitelist so no flash is blocked whatsoever.
  3. Think about a custom hosts file.  I use the one at http://msmvps.com  Its another layer of protection from malware as well.

These should be good places to start.  Also use Ccleaner on your drive and registry.  There could be problems there.  I use it routinely to keep the clutter to a minimum.

If this post was helpful, please click the green "+" button below

Read my take on YourMusic HERE.

If you like the Starred list and its ease of use, and would like to see its return, please support by adding Kudos and comments HERE

If you'd like a lean and fast Spotify desktop, without all the default apps slowing things down, please support my idea thread to opt out of them by adding an option to turn them off and on in Preferences. Staff has shown interest in this idea. Click the "Kudos" button and add your comments   HERE

Concert Regular
DunkinDonuts

[ Edited ]

I'm experencing the same thing with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. Any time I open my brower, navigate between pages, scroll up or down, the playback starts to stutter really badly. This happens even when I'm navigating in Spotify. I've had Spotify premium for a year and this has just started to happen. I'm on a 60mb connection with Virgin and everything else works fine. It's driving me crazy!

Peter
Kudos: 11,973
Solutions: 3,278
I'm a Community Rock Star

Is your hard drive or CPU being maxed out by chrome or Spotify when this happens? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
DunkinDonuts

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a novice in such things and don't really know.

I've got a quarter of my total capacity free on my C:drive and over half on my D:drive. It's true that when this first happend I had very little space on my C:drive and lots of Spotify tracks available off line (presumably stored on my C:drive) but since then I've created more space on my C:drive, removed all my off line playlists, and tried a couple of clean installs of Spotify - all to no avail.

The problem doesn't seem to happen when I use Spotify Web Player or my HTC andoid phone.

Any ideas?

...and thanks again.

Duncan

Peter
Kudos: 11,973
Solutions: 3,278
I'm a Community Rock Star

Can you check something out for me? 

In Spotify, go to File/Spotify > Offline Mode (which will force your client offline) do you still get the same behaviour as before? 

Also on Windows, go to Edit > Preferences > Playback > Untick Enable Hardware Acceleration and restart Spotify. Does that make any difference? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
DunkinDonuts

Hey Peter,

Thanks for he speedy reply - and for staying with me on this.

I've got to go out for the evening now.

I'll run those tests tomorrow and let you know the results then if that's Ok.

Cheers

Duncan

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.