Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Radio Star
AbsolutelyNoFB

Re: Horrible update

hammeh wrote:

Ease of development does matter though, even though that wasn't the main point I was trying to make.

I don't know all the ins and outs of spotify development, but surely a client which can be standardised across mutliple platforms would allow features to be added more easily and bugs to be fixed quicker, at the sacrifice of performance of a native application.  Those are both issues that affect community support inmy eyes.

Peter

IMHO, I don't think it'll be easier to add features or possible for bugs to be fixed quicker unless the overall functionality of the Spotify client is way dumbed down. This may make sense if Spotify plans to make the free/basic client into a web client, but it does not make sense for the current native client, especially for Premium customers.

As others have said, of Spotify ends up getting rid of their native cients, they are basically shooting themselves in the head. They will have zero competitive differentiation and people will have no reason to stick with them. I certainly won't pay $120/yr for some lame web client.

Garage Band
BigKev57

[ Edited ]

Brilliant guys. Thanks for all your input in keeping the rubbish, user unfriendly Spotify update at bay. I downloaded an old version from here:

(thanks to AbsolutelyNoFB)

and then used this

Go to C:/Users/<Name>/Appdata/Roaming/Spotify

1. Make a new empy text file

2. Name it Spotify_new.exe

3. Right click the file and make the file read only

1. Make a new empty text file

2. Name it Spotify_new.exe.sig

Spotify will not be able to update because it can't delete the files, because they are read only, all future upgrades will fail.

This method is easy to use and permanent.

(Many thanks to skomes)

It all seems to work just fine so far. I'm not very computer savvy but managed to work it out. I feel like i've been in a battle of wills. I guess the battle is won but not the war. Hopefully all the messages will have some positive effect.

Removed link to spotify installer outside spotify site. hpguru

Radio Star
AbsolutelyNoFB

BigKev57 wrote:

Brilliant guys. Thanks for all your input in keeping the rubbish, user unfriendly Spotify update at bay.

It all seems to work just fine so far. I'm not very computer savvy but managed to work it out. I feel like i've been in a battle of wills. I guess the battle is won but not the war. Hopefully all the messages will have some positive effect.

Glad to hear you got the old version working! Cheers on getting back to the dark side of Spotify :)

It took some really good teamwork to win this battle. Hopefully with some continued teamwork, we can win some more battles :)

I think the next test will be finding how to reach the CEO directly or someone who is in charge of product management. That is one thing that is great about Apple. The CEO has a well known email address and cares enough to answer some messages, especially when things are not going well and customers need reassurance things will get better.

World Tour
Marco

Thanks, that worked for me too! Finally back to my dark custom skin. :)

Artist View.jpg

Garage Band
BigKev57

Although i managed to get no response from anybody in twitter i did manage to get some response from Support. I directed them to this thread and was assured that my concerns would be passed along. Whether or not that will lead to any action we shall have to wait and see. Other limited dealings i have had as a customer with other company client developers has usually led to a zero reaction as developers seem to think they know what is best for their company's cusomers. I guess that is okay until the company and their jobs are gone. Thanks for your support and advice :) 

Liam
Topics: 144
Kudos: 1,598
Ideas: 16
Solutions: 448

BigKev57 wrote:

Although i managed to get no response from anybody in twitter i did manage to get some response from Support. I directed them to this thread and was assured that my concerns would be passed along. Whether or not that will lead to any action we shall have to wait and see. Other limited dealings i have had as a customer with other company client developers has usually led to a zero reaction as developers seem to think they know what is best for their company's cusomers. I guess that is okay until the company and their jobs are gone. Thanks for your support and advice :) 

Hmm.

We shall see - TBH I don't mind the new client, it's just the colours contrast too much. I really think there should be an option for multiple styles.

Gig Goer
tobel

BigKev57 wrote:

Other limited dealings i have had as a customer with other company client developers has usually led to a zero reaction as developers seem to think they know what is best for their company's cusomers. I guess that is okay until the company and their jobs are gone. Thanks for your support and advice :) 

Hmm, developers usually have a very limit influence on the feature of the product they are developing. It's the product managers/owners who is responsible. Often enough software engineers are very more close to the customer needs than the marketing guys who made the decision to change a feature.

Festival Fanatic
hasimirrossi

[ Edited ]

BigKev57 wrote:

Brilliant guys. Thanks for all your input in keeping the rubbish, user unfriendly Spotify update at bay. I downloaded an old version from here:

(thanks to AbsolutelyNoFB)

and then used this

Go to C:/Users/<Name>/Appdata/Roaming/Spotify

1. Make a new empy text file

2. Name it Spotify_new.exe

1. Make a new empty text file

2. Name it Spotify_new.exe.sig

Spotify will not be able to update because it can't delete the files, because they are read only, all future upgrades will fail.

This method is easy to use and permanent.

(Many thanks to skomes)

Nice one. That seems to have done the trick. I can actually load it up now, which was impossible beforehand. I had to end the process from task manager and resort to Youtube...

removed bad link, hpguru

Concert VIP
Ziegy

[ Edited ]

Huge thanks to skomes & AbsolutelyNoFB for the orignal posts on how to upgrade to the previous version of Spotify.  And to BigKev57 for summarizing in his post!   I used the most recent (as of last night when I re-installed) and working like a dream.

Spotify's poor excuse for an upgrade didn't show up for me until several days ago.  My computer sat for about 3 days with the dreaded blue update bar and I refused to close Spotify.  Finally had another app that required an update & forced a reboot of my computer. 

I have always hated desktop apps that are just glorified web browsers.  They will always be slower, laggy & less responsive than a client-side app.  If anyone at Spotify is listening, I'll reiterate what's been said mulitple times:  I'm paying $120/yr for a premium service (actually I'm paying for one for my daughter as well, so make it $240) & I expect a premium experience.  Otherwise, I could go to rdio, and get a family subscription for less money (and if Spotify introduces a workaround to our chosen version & forces me in to their downgrade again, that's exactly what I'll be doing).

It's a shame.  I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to software updates & often download betas just to have the 'latest & greatest'.  There's nothing great (or even good) about Spotify's web browser-in-disguise downgrade. For now though, thanks only to this community, I'm a happy man.

removed bad link, hpguru

-Ziegy
Spotify v0.8.5.1356 (and holding)
Gig Goer
Gonzo1888

lll

How the hell do I add new songs to my playlist, this update is a shambles 

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.