Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

Solved!

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

I just installed this and it starts up automatically and i would rather it not, because it also does not shut down when i am trying to close my computer.  how do i do this????  thankis

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There might not be malicious software in Spotify, but this is malware-like behaviour. A program going against the settings as specified by the user, and strapping itself into the boot-sequence regardless of user preference... The Spotify developers either do not know how, or don't care enough, to fix this. Don't blame malevolence when ignorance or apathy are more likely explanations. The simplest fix I found it to simply rename the "Spotify.exe" and "SpotifyLauncher.exe" to "Spotify1.exe" and "SpotifyLauncher1.exe". You can find them in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\" Then it is simply a matter of making a shortcut to the renamed Spotify1.exe in order to launch the program when you want to, rather than having it start with the computer. The problem is of course that with every Spotify update you will have to re-do this if you want to prevent it starting with boot.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Problem was solved for me with the latest Spotify automatic update 🙂

Marked as solution

It does indeed ignore the "no" at the "startup" setting. I noticed I had "can be opened from the internet" switch turned on, in the same section, and experimentally I turned it off. When I rebooted, the computer did not launch Spotify.

Edit/Added: I didn't even find the app under the startup neither in the activity manager nor the MSCONFIG so there wasn't an option to turn it off by tinkering with the autostart settings in Windows. The only option I had "on" was the "open from web", which I experimentally turned off.

Marked as solution

Disabling the Load From Web option worked for me too!  Rebooted the computer, and it didn't automatically load.

67 Replies

This is actually fairly easy.  Open Spotify, click the Edit menu, and select Preferences.  Scroll all the way to the bottom, and select the option labeled "Don't open automatically."  That should do it - all you need to do at that point is close Spotify, and optionally restart your computer to test the new settings.

In my preferences "Don't open automatically" is always checked, spotify still starts automatically every time I turn on my computer. What do I do to stop it from doing this? Allready tried uninstalling and re-installing the program, with no luck.

My settings is to not automatically start and I used Revo to remove it from the autostart lists and started my machine this morning and what do you know; Spotify is starting with my machine. . .   It's starting to act like mal-ware.   Seriously, I might remove it and not come back if this isn't fixed.

I have the same problem.

Went through all the "easy" fixes, disabled it from starting automatically in msconfig and ccleaner, which works for exactly one time restarting my computer. Then it pops right back up.

I'm really quite surprised that Spotify seems to have no real answer to this issue whenever it comes up on this community board. By all accounts Spotify is a reputable company, and I can't imagine an unecessary annoyance like this would be good for their business.

Weird. After changing this setting, I've not had it auto-start on my personal machine... It could be that somehow, there are two versions of Spotify on your computer. I'd recommend trying a clean installation of Spotify, and trying setting again. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Totally keeps doing the same darn thing on my system!  I've 'clean installed' it twice and have ensured that the "don't open automatically" option is ticked in the preferences. 

I've had to resort to msconfig, as well, then it comes right the heck back a few days later. Like the service a lot, don't like this, though!

Just for the record, some relevant info:

Windows 7 Professional x64

Spotify version: 0.8.4.107.g4fa0003f

Screen shot of msconfig after Spotify has been disabled from starting automatically and system has been restarted. Note that the 2 Spotify items on top have appeared as enabled, while 2 duplicates on the bottom remain disabled. After the next restart, Spotify will open automatically regardless of the settings in Spotify preferences.

(I am using Windows 7, 64-bit, service pack 1, and Spotify version 0.8.3.222.G317ab79d)

Untitled.jpg

EDIT: Itunes, it appears, has the same problem, but it at least doesn't take over my monitor at startup. : /

This is exactly the same problem as I am having. Also on Windows 7 64bit

I have selected no to auto start and also no to start up from web.

This is a brand new machine so there is no prevoius version of Spotify on it.  I have used ccleaner to hunt down and disable autostart commands but they reappear by them selves after a reboot.

But this is not the solution as I, along with many others it seems have the issue of it reinserting itself in my startup. This SHOULD NOT be marked as solved.

This is a real problem.  When are they going to fix it?

This is NOT resolved... I also, am having the same problem despite "clean installs"  and ticking the box in the preferences menu.  I was going to upgrade, but if this is how its going to act on login there is not a chance in hell.  I work in the web industry, and most of my friends/coworkers use spotify on a daily basis.  Backhanded tactics to push your software is unacceptable.  If this is acceptible to Spotify, I wonder what other malicious software is being installed without my permission.  I will be removing your software immediately and warning my friends about the type of company Spotify is.  I may return when/IF this ever gets resolved.

–pissed-off customer

This issue is a strange one, as I have no problem deactivating Spotify from automatically starting up. Like several other Spotify bugs, I would imagine this is going to be a hard one to track down!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I also have this bug with Spotify starting automatically with windows even though I set my preference not to do that. I'm using windows 8 64-bit and I found this key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\Spotify

I got Spotify to stop autostarting simply by deleting that particular key from the registry. It's just a workaround and doesn't take care of the bug... and as with all registry hacks, be careful and back it up before deleting!

Finally sorted the same problem on both my pcs. 

If you are a member of Facebook, then the problem likely is because of that.

What I did to spot Spotify automatically starting up.

1. Log into Facebook, and then into Account.

2. Go to Account Settings (on Facebook).

3. From there go to Apps (on left side of screen).

4. Find Spotify in the list of Apps that shows up and press the "x" button to the right of "Edit".

5. Log out of Facebook.

6. Log out of your PC.

7. Restart the PC.

8. Spotify will still appear asking you to log in with Facebook or Spotify password.

9. Log in to Spotify with your Facebook password.

10. On Spotify - go to Edit (top left of Spotify screen).

11. Scroll down to Preferences.

12. Scroll ALL the way down to the bottom, and IF it says Log on Automatically, click the "Don't Open Automatically".

13. Log out of Spotify.

14. Log out of your PC.

15. When you switch your pc on again - the problem hopefully, as in my case, was resolved.

I have had this problem with other things starting automatically in the past, and it has always been because it is an "App" appearing in my Facebook list. Do the things listed above in that order and hopefully it will work.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Steve.

I had this same problem.  Spotify is not friendly software.  If there is malware this obvious, how much do you think is burried inside?  I've removed this trojan from my machine altogether and will stick with Rhapsody.

@mattbrelje wrote:

I had this same problem.  Spotify is not friendly software.  If there is malware this obvious, how much do you think is burried inside?  I've removed this trojan from my machine altogether and will stick with Rhapsody.

Hi, and welcome to the community!

The chances are that if millions of users have Spotify without a problem, it is not a virus. Likely due to the fact that there are song protection measures which involve protecting files which your antivirus doesn't like. Try lowering the security level on your AV software.

If you don't trust the normal link, try downloading the full installer and see what it scans as.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

@mattbrelje wrote:

Mattbrelje - I can assure you, there is no malicious software in the Spotify download.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Marked as solution

There might not be malicious software in Spotify, but this is malware-like behaviour. A program going against the settings as specified by the user, and strapping itself into the boot-sequence regardless of user preference... The Spotify developers either do not know how, or don't care enough, to fix this. Don't blame malevolence when ignorance or apathy are more likely explanations. The simplest fix I found it to simply rename the "Spotify.exe" and "SpotifyLauncher.exe" to "Spotify1.exe" and "SpotifyLauncher1.exe". You can find them in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\" Then it is simply a matter of making a shortcut to the renamed Spotify1.exe in order to launch the program when you want to, rather than having it start with the computer. The problem is of course that with every Spotify update you will have to re-do this if you want to prevent it starting with boot.

Hey, this was driving me nuts too (Mac OS X), but I discovered this: Right click the Spotify icon on your tray, click Options, and then uncheck Open at Login. There, all better 🙂

Exactly the same issue here.

Tried Revo / Crapcleaner / Msconfig the program still adds it self automatically to the start up list together with Skype.

Win7X64

Even tried to disable through Soluto yet still the program autostarts.

Please fix this Spotify starts to act like Malicious software! 

That's not what i'm paying for!

I love the service, I love the music but the autostarting is really annoying!!

Suggested posts