Music Fan
clairev
Accepted Solution

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

I just installed this and it starts up automatically and i would rather it not, because it also does not shut down when i am trying to close my computer.  how do i do this????  thankis

Singer
jvanderb

Re: How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

This is actually fairly easy.  Open Spotify, click the Edit menu, and select Preferences.  Scroll all the way to the bottom, and select the option labeled "Don't open automatically."  That should do it - all you need to do at that point is close Spotify, and optionally restart your computer to test the new settings.

Music Fan
AxMataz

In my preferences "Don't open automatically" is always checked, spotify still starts automatically every time I turn on my computer. What do I do to stop it from doing this? Allready tried uninstalling and re-installing the program, with no luck.

Music Fan
stevils

My settings is to not automatically start and I used Revo to remove it from the autostart lists and started my machine this morning and what do you know; Spotify is starting with my machine. . .   It's starting to act like mal-ware.   Seriously, I might remove it and not come back if this isn't fixed.

Gig Goer
Ithuvanian

I have the same problem.

Went through all the "easy" fixes, disabled it from starting automatically in msconfig and ccleaner, which works for exactly one time restarting my computer. Then it pops right back up.

I'm really quite surprised that Spotify seems to have no real answer to this issue whenever it comes up on this community board. By all accounts Spotify is a reputable company, and I can't imagine an unecessary annoyance like this would be good for their business.

Spotify
David

Weird. After changing this setting, I've not had it auto-start on my personal machine... It could be that somehow, there are two versions of Spotify on your computer. I'd recommend trying a clean installation of Spotify, and trying setting again. 

-----
Spotify
Music Fan
wvdude

Totally keeps doing the same darn thing on my system!  I've 'clean installed' it twice and have ensured that the "don't open automatically" option is ticked in the preferences. 

I've had to resort to msconfig, as well, then it comes right the heck back a few days later. Like the service a lot, don't like this, though!

Just for the record, some relevant info:

Windows 7 Professional x64

Spotify version: 0.8.4.107.g4fa0003f

Gig Goer
Ithuvanian

[ Edited ]

Screen shot of msconfig after Spotify has been disabled from starting automatically and system has been restarted. Note that the 2 Spotify items on top have appeared as enabled, while 2 duplicates on the bottom remain disabled. After the next restart, Spotify will open automatically regardless of the settings in Spotify preferences.

(I am using Windows 7, 64-bit, service pack 1, and Spotify version 0.8.3.222.G317ab79d)

Untitled.jpg

EDIT: Itunes, it appears, has the same problem, but it at least doesn't take over my monitor at startup. : /

Music Lover
cailean2k

This is exactly the same problem as I am having. Also on Windows 7 64bit

I have selected no to auto start and also no to start up from web.

This is a brand new machine so there is no prevoius version of Spotify on it.  I have used ccleaner to hunt down and disable autostart commands but they reappear by them selves after a reboot.

Music Fan
Studio108

But this is not the solution as I, along with many others it seems have the issue of it reinserting itself in my startup. This SHOULD NOT be marked as solved.

This is a real problem.  When are they going to fix it?

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.