Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert Regular
robtannenbaum
Accepted Solution

How do I find a friend?

I have a friend who I know is on Spotify. When I click on People and enter his surname in the finder window, I get results for Hits, Playlists, Albums, and Artists -- but no sign that it's searching for Spotify users.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Peter
Kudos: 11,988
Solutions: 3,285
I'm a Community Rock Star

Re: How do I find a friend?

Hey :)

You should be able to narrow down friends. If you click on the People tab, there is a filter box in the top right corner of that tab that you can use to search through your people list. Its a different search function to the main spotify one in the top left of the client. 

Also does your friend have spotify social enabled? (Linked to facebook). They won't appear on that list unless they do. 

If they are using a spotify login instead of signing in with facebook you can also move directly to their profile page by searching (in the main search box) for "spotify:user:username" where username is your friends log in name :)

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
robtannenbaum

Thanks, hammeh.

One problem solved, one problem arisen:

My going to his Facebook page, I was able to locate a Playlist he created, and I clicked on that to open his Published Playlists page. I'm able to Favorite or Remove Favorite him, but I don't see how to add him to my People list.

Peter

Have you got spotify social enabled? 

If you have Facebook linked to your Spotify account or you sign in with your Facebook account he should automatically appear in your People list, as the list is generated automatically, you can't add or remove friends from it to my knowledge anyways. 

Peter

Peter

Concert Regular
robtannenbaum

I don't have it enabled. If I enable it, will all my Spotify listening automatically appear on my Facebook page?

Peter

By default yes however, you can turn it off by going to Edit > Preferences (or where ever the preferences menu is on Mac, I remember it being slightly different) inside the desktop client and unticking the box that says "Show what I'm listening to on Facebook" ;)

Peter

Peter

Concert Regular
robtannenbaum

One (final, I hope) question:

What's the difference between Share my activity on Spotify Social, Show what I listen to on Facebook, and Disconnect From Facebook?

I want to be able to find friends within the client, and let them find me. I don't want to have to log in via Facebook, or have my Spotify activities displayed on Facebook.

Peter

There are a few different settings I'll do my best to explain.

Share my activity on Spotify Social means that your friends will be able to see what you are currently listening to inside their Spotify clients on the right hand People List. This does not post anything to Facebook. 

Show what I listen to on Facebook will show what you are currently listening to on your Facebook timeline. I'm guessing you don't want this option. 

Disconnect from Facebook will remove Facebook integration from your Spotify account. This means that you won't be able to see what your friends are listening to, or using any of the other Facebook linked social features. Since you have a Spotify account, you never need to sign into Spotify using your Facebook login details. 

Hope that clarifies it for you,

Peter

Peter

Music Fan
ceasars

Hello.

I dont want anything to do with facebook, but i would like to connect with my friends that uses spotify throu spotify.

If i know what my friends log in name is, wouldnt i be able to find and ad him as a friend for quicker access?

Ive tried bouth the main search-box in the top left corner and the top right search-box under the people-tab.

What to do? 

Thanks 

Peter

ceasars wrote:

Hello.

I dont want anything to do with facebook, but i would like to connect with my friends that uses spotify throu spotify.

If i know what my friends log in name is, wouldnt i be able to find and ad him as a friend for quicker access?

Ive tried bouth the main search-box in the top left corner and the top right search-box under the people-tab.

What to do? 

Thanks 

If you know your friends Spotify username (not email address) then just search for them using:

spotify:user:username

where username is your friends username in the desktop search box. You can then add them as a favourite at the top of their profile.

Peter

Peter

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.