Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to delete songs from a playlist

Solved!

How to delete songs from a playlist

how do you delete songs from a playlist? either on mac or ios?

129 Replies

You are out of luck. They don't want you deleting songs from your playlists while they are playing. It would be EASY to add "delete" to the list of ten things you can do to each song. I think Spotify makes a tiny bit more more money by not letting us delete songs from a playing playlist. This issue along with the "starred" fiasco is ignored by Spotify. I'm waiting for the good replacement service to come along... To replace Spotify the way Spotify replaced Pandora. Spotify quit listening to the users long ago.

My edit gives all options except delete.

Is it a playlist you created or one you are following? You can't delete tracks from a playlist you're following. 

It is a playlist I created.......

Spotify sucks on this one important feature

That shouldn't be happening. Do you get an error message when you select a track and hit the <delete> key?  Could you post a link to the playlist please? Right click on the playlist name > copy spotify URI.

I have an iPad mini and I'm so stupid for not noticing this until now, but there are no buttons with three dots, but there is a button that says Edit. I was looking for the solution here and completely ignored that. Just in case you're still wondering!
Sincerely, Kelley

Thank you so much for helping me figure out how to delete songs. Tech support was no help at all

I used to be able to click on the track in Now Playing, then it would highlight the track in the list view on the right.  I could then right-click and select "Delete from playlist" or whatever.  However, because there are apparently no regression tests in the software development lifecycle of the desktop player, that functionality  no longer exists.  In fact, additionally, I can no longer filter a playlist in order to delete a track that way.

Marked as solution

Hello: @Hatebook

How about this when a song is playing in the Now Playing Window if you double click on the album artwork, with the assumption it is being played from a playlist you created, does this take you to the song in your playlist that way so you can delete it?

Hi, @JayLB !

Thanks for the reply.

It does take me to the song in my playlist but there is no option in the context menu to delete the song from the playlist, and the Delete button on the keyboard doesn't work either.

-Ali

Hum what device and what is the app version this is happening on by the way.

One device is a Windows 7 Pro laptop using Spotify 1.0.1.805.gd2412973 and the other is a Windows 8.1 laptop using the same Spotify version.

-Ali

I see now, seems you ended up with the new version and not all the features are added. Do not fret more features are coming, they are I think, this is my view only, rebuilding the app and adding a few features at a time to ensure things run smooth.

Can you go to this folder location C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming and look for the Spotify folder, does it say just Spotify on the app folder name or SpotifyBeta? If the folder says SpotifyBeta you can just use the version 0.9.15.27 right along side with that beta version. If that folder just says Spotify only then you might have to roll back if you want the previous version until more features are add to the new version.

If you want to roll back for a while until more features are available, I would go and to get the full installer. You will want to uninstall the new version first, and you can get the version 0.9.15.27 here  http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe?_ga=1.186674219.2066049722.1408173710

Double check the full installer when it is downloaded, highlight the installer when finished downloading with your mouse pointer, and make sure in the little popup context window the file version says 0.9.15.27 version, that was the last updated 0.9.x version. I am not sure when Spotify intends to update the full installer file on their server. If it is a different version, say a 1.0.1.xxx version you might have to go to say file horse to find that version. When first installed do not run the 0.9.15.27 app for the first time you will need to stop the auto update for a short time, as the apps auto update when you have been pushed for an update. Doing a search on the board here under the desktop area for stopping auto update should get you to the threads and information to do that.

And if you still wish to run the new version along side the 0.9.x version there is a way. You can run the new 1.0.0.x version through a program called Sandboxie, and still run the old rolled back version with all features still there. I do I currently have three versions, the 0.9.15.27 which still works with everything, 1.0.0.811 Beta which runs on it's own along side my 0.9.x version, and then the new version being rolled out to everyone through Sandboxie app version 1.0.1.811.g63b21681 which replaces 0.9.15.27 when it installs for everyone.

Anyway I think that is all and all I can suggest.

How do you delete songs from a playlist that you did make yourself?

In the older versions of Spotify, you could click on the song icon to get to the "line" of the song, and there you could erase the song from the playlist. In the new version, I can not find an easy way to do this - I have to scroll down to the song, and that takes a lot of time. Anyone who knows of an easier way?

No simple way to remove a single song from a playlist right when its playing? Really? I don't believe it. It's far from user friendly to have to remember a song and dig into the 'edit playlist' thing just to delete it.

Why not use iOS's common "swipe to delete" gesture from wherever I am within a playlist, to delete a title from the playlist rather than delete from my music.

So they probably make a tiny bigger amount of money by keeping songs on playlists. IMO this is the lamest deficiency of Spotify

I can't find a 'delete' button under the three dots. Is there a way to delete it? I have some songs that I don't like now and won't to delete.

Hi!

The issue with this functionality is that you first need to locate the song in your playlist, potentially out of thousands of songs. Is there no way to delete the song that's currently playing without locating it in the list? If not, please consider adding this functionality.

Thanks
I have a MacBook Pro. I use the free version of Spotify. I've followed instructions of some posters but still cannot delete songs from my library. Suggestions? Thanks.

Suggested posts