Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Latest update(0.9.12.6) broke embed.spotify.com, open.spotify.com and playing tracks from facebook.

Solved!

Latest update(0.9.12.6) broke embed.spotify.com, open.spotify.com and playing tracks from facebook.

As the topic says, the latest update for windows breaks the embed.* open.* and facebook "remote control" functionality in spotify.

The webhelper seems to be doing what it should, but the spotify client is not handling the commands it should, only the version and token command actually replies anything other than a 503 service not available.

First screenshot is me trying to play a track via the embed.* page, which just bugs out and says spotify is not running, cause spotify does not reply to the status command. 

Second screenshot shows that the open.spotify.com page retries the connection about 5-10 times a second without getting what it wants.

Same happens with facebook, click a spotify link and it will not play the track...

I reported it in the spotify developer irc channel but just got a shallow "i think they might be aware of it" response. But then again, the windows client developers arent there, so god knows if they got the message.. 

As of now not a lot of people has the 9.12.6 release, so if killing the embed, and facebook control, and bugging out the open.* page is not intentional, it might be an idea to stop  the updates and push out a fixed version instead.

Can one of the rockstars send this up the chain ?..

9.12.6 bug1

open.spotify.com

Equalify developer/owner

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well, there was an update today 9.12.10 that seems to fix everything.

Took way too long, and WAY too little information from spotify regarding this feature breaking bug.

People that repport bugs should be "rewarded" with at least an acknowledgement and an update when its fixed!

Equalify developer/owner

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Can confirm this is an issue. Thanks for the report!

Raising it now.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Any news ? 

and also bump..

Equalify developer/owner

Problem mentionned on twitter @spotifycares

Here is the answer :

soundofus Thanks for letting us know about this, we'll have a look and see what's going on /C

http://www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I reinstalled the previous version of desktop and it was working fine.

Unfortunately as soon as you try to play an embedded link, automatically it installs the last update again..

SoundofusSpotify Star

Yep correct you have to use workarounds to stop the auto update until a fix gets rolled out to everyone. Although I have no idea if the old method of stopping the auto update work around works in the new version of the apps currently? Maybe another power user or spotify Guru user knows though?

Waow, what a messy update! It also breaks major functions of Spotimote (and since it still doesn't introduce Connect...).

For info, the old blocking method works: uninstall, create Spotify folder under C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming, create two files Spotify_new.exe and Spotify_new.exe.sig and make them read-only, install previous version of Spotify (which should still be the one first pushed).

Very strange that this update went public!

Follow me

I think only some users got it. Spotify rolls out updates in batches so when problems appear like these they don't have 5mill users with all the same bugs. I have not seen the new update yet and I am in the States. still using the version prior to the Discover icon going ghost mode 🙂

Since i tried some things with the web helper i can say that the web-helper-webserver (local) returns 503 on request, which would deny any information requested by the embed.spotify.com widget.

darn Spotify. Is that so difficult to stop this update 0.9.12.6 and to let people reinstall the previous version and to avoid this new failed update comes up again and again ?

Is that so difficult to test seriously an update before send it to the users ?

Since at least one year now I am scared to see a new update available without say to myself "What is not going to work this time"

SoundofusSpotify Star

I'm still on a 0.9.11.x version, so I'm not affected yet, but this bug will certainly break the Spotify on-demand playback on all Last.fm pages, so please fix it before all Last.fm users will be updated to that version. 😉

By the way, I noticed that sending the embed.spotify.com URL to the web player seems to broken for a few weeks already, because it does not start anymore from Last.fm pages, although the internal settings in the desktop software and web player are correct (i.e. not open open.spotify.com in the desktop software). So far it opens the desktop software instead, but this may end when I get the new version, too.

One week now and still nothing done...

Very disappointing.

SoundofusSpotify Star
Marked as solution

Well, there was an update today 9.12.10 that seems to fix everything.

Took way too long, and WAY too little information from spotify regarding this feature breaking bug.

People that repport bugs should be "rewarded" with at least an acknowledgement and an update when its fixed!

Equalify developer/owner

Any way to "force" the update?

Suggested posts