Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

Update: Spotify for Linux v0.9.4 is now available. See here.

Hi everybody!

Today we pushed the latest and greatest Spotify client to our repository. This time you're getting the good stuff first, this version has only been rolled out to a small percentage of Windows/Mac users. It contains some of the features that were presented on our recent press event, such as being able to follow artists and tastemakers. Have a look at the brand new Follow page, where you can find interesting artists and other people to follow. You'll get updates on their activity, such as newly released albums etc.

As for Linux-specific fixes, there are some minor bug fixes. The biggest change is the packaging. The client now is installed to /opt and it uses XDG mechanisms to register icons and menus. The executable is now also built without hardcoded paths to libraries. This means that the folder can be put anywhere and just run from there. Unfortunately, this release still depends on libssl0.9.8. We'll try to get rid of that in upcoming releases!

The new client is just a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" away!

What, you don't already have Spotify installed? Lookie here: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Don't use Debian? Check out these zip packages:

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-i686.zip

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-amd64.zip

Edit: updated to include the zip packages.

265 Replies

Thanks parbo, that'd be great if you can get it fixed. It's hard to justify getting a paid subscription when the local files functionality doesn't work.

Thanks parbo,

but this one issue in Debian Wheezy is very irritating => 

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

spotify-client : Depends: libssl0.9.8 but it is not installable

Can you please fix this?

Thanks!

The libssl dependency is a tricky one, unfortunately. I have an idea how to fix it, but I need some time.

I'm no dpkg expert, but I think there should be a way to force install anyway. Then you can symlink the library, they seem to be compatible. You can put this symlink in /opt/spotify/spotify-client, next to the executable.

works as good as the version before, perfect! but the playlist icons are negative (inverted). is that normal? I use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit

Bildschirmfoto vom 2013-01-04 17:55:12.png

Did you have any issues with the privacy screen and not having the ability to close it?

Ed

No, but it just crashed while I tried to add a new track to my playlist...

Does anyone have the link for the 0.8.4 deb file?  I would like to reinstall it.  Having issues with 0.8.8.

Ed

Seems to have removed the star a whole album feature. This makes it quite annoying to add an artist's discography.

The new version looks great and seems more stable than previous releases. My only problem is that everytime I try to play local files I receive the following error: [audio_file_decompressor_ffmpeg.cpp:387] Failed to open stream

It works fine for me, excepted that the application menu / sound menu icon is missing, and the running application icon is grey.

It is details, (but devil is in the...you know what).

Is there a manual fix or is it a package bug?

I am using the spotify repo on a fully up to date ubuntu 12.04, and made the upgrade from 0.8.4 to 0.8.8.

Another thing is I still have the bug that makes me unable to minimize the window from a maximized state.

If the windows is not maximized, it works fine. I am using an unity session.

Megilla, what is stopping libssl0.9.8 from getting installed?  In principle there should be no conflicts, the 0.9.8 and 1.0.0 versions of the library should be able to coexist. 0.9.8 does not exist in wheezy, is that the problem?  What error message comes from "apt-get install libssl0.9.8" ?

You can still grab the old version from oldstable, see http://cdn.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/openssl/

Not sure if this is the right place... but my co-worker and I, both on Linux Mint (her on 13 and me on 14) are both getting crashes whenever we try to drag a song from the new white track listing (this is since going to 0.8.8) from a search result into a playlist or the play queue. Even if we click and grab a song and then let it go immediately (on itself) it crashes ("segmentation fault").

I have deleted ~/.cache/spotify and tried running as a different user. Both situations still cause the segfault. Please let me know how I can best be of help. (Filing this issue elsewhere, providing dumps, etc.)

I have Mint 14, and I had problems with the display.  I had to remove the ./cache/spotify and also removed the ./config/spotify and reinstalled and then it worked.

Might be worth a try.

Ed

THANKS!

Extra KUDUS!

Hi!

First: Thanks for this awesome update!

Buuut I have a problem with it (at least on GNOME Shell 3.6, didn't test Unity yet):

When I try to drag and drop anything (does not matter what) the client just freezes. 

I made a time ago a custom icon for spotify tray icon indicator.

It was in /usr/share/spotify/theme/other/_linux/icon.ico, it worked perfectly.

Now , with the new update, where is it located?

Drag/drop has some bugs, yes. Can you work around it by using the right-click menu instead?

Good catch on the playlist mosaics! I'll look into that! I don't think they're inverted actually, it seems like two color channels have switched places. Like bgr instead of rgb.

Any comment at all on the local files issue. I know it may not be an easy fix but some news that it's being worked on would be nice.

for the next time that will be alright, thanks for your support. will you release bugfixes then or do I have to wait for a new version?

I'll take a look at the missing local files next week. Why we don't pick up all files named *.mp3 that is.

Suggested posts