Close
parbo
Accepted Solution

[Linux] Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

[ Edited ]

Update: Spotify for Linux v0.9.4 is now available. See here.

Hi everybody!

Today we pushed the latest and greatest Spotify client to our repository. This time you're getting the good stuff first, this version has only been rolled out to a small percentage of Windows/Mac users. It contains some of the features that were presented on our recent press event, such as being able to follow artists and tastemakers. Have a look at the brand new Follow page, where you can find interesting artists and other people to follow. You'll get updates on their activity, such as newly released albums etc.

As for Linux-specific fixes, there are some minor bug fixes. The biggest change is the packaging. The client now is installed to /opt and it uses XDG mechanisms to register icons and menus. The executable is now also built without hardcoded paths to libraries. This means that the folder can be put anywhere and just run from there. Unfortunately, this release still depends on libssl0.9.8. We'll try to get rid of that in upcoming releases!

The new client is just a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" away!

What, you don't already have Spotify installed? Lookie here: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Don't use Debian? Check out these zip packages:

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-i686.zip

http://download.spotify.com/preview/spotify-client-linux-0.8.8.323.gd143501e-amd64.zip

Edit: updated to include the zip packages.

Label Star
leamas

Re: [ANNOUNCE]: Spotify 0.8.8 for GNU/Linux

[ Edited ]

This s great news. I will try to update  the Fedora spec ASAP, but will probably need some days for that. Stay tuned!

It's especially nice that the Linux version now seems as fast as other supported platforms!

And, of course, servicing  fedora users would be so much simpler if there was other license conditions. But lawyers being what they are I guess this is far away, if at all under way. We do the best we can with this nice client!.

EDIT: I have published a first shot for a Fedora 0.8.8 spec.

parbo

You mean the license to redistribute? I can take a look and see how far that has gotten. When the new zip packages are up, I think you should be able to make a fedora package that just downloads that and runs some scripts included to install it..

Label Star
leamas

[ Edited ]

Yes, I mean the redistribute + repackage rights, still without touching the binaries.

A user downloader/installer  is certainly possible. But then you miss all the advantages of using rpm (or dpkg) such as keeping track of files, dependencies, safe removals, updates etc. I would prefer not going that path.  

Someone else will probably create  such a script anyway. With a bit of care it doesn't even need to be distro-specific, I guess.

Garage Band
aspiers

[ Edited ]

@parbo, thanks for the great work!  If you are able to solve the licensing aspects of redistribution then the various distribution communities would be able to take care of much of the packaging work for you.

In the mean time, there is a half-way house, which is to provide a script which creates the package and then uninstalls it.  This is exactly what I have been maintaining here: https://github.com/aspiers/opensuse-spotify-installer

Are you likely to be able to provide the .zip files soon?  If so, I will hang fire on updating my installer to 0.8.8. 

Label Star
SteveBrammer

Thanks for this!

All the problems with crashing apps like "Blue Note" and "Classify" on 64bit linux seems to have been fixed as well.

Label Star
leamas

[ Edited ]

Given that I can't redistribute the stuff, it becomes a problem that the old links are removed. Is there any chance you could restore the old links to 0.8.4 until I have had time to fix the specfile? As of now, it's not working any more and I need some time to adapt to new package layout.

I can use other links (e. g., a subdir) without problems.

Concert VIP
Specialed08

Problems with 0.8.8.  After an upgrade this morning, when spotify is started there is some type of privacy agreement that I can't get rid of.  It will not allow my music to play, the box looks like it is missing the edges. 

I am running Linux Mint 14 /64bit & 32bit

They both show the same issue.

Any ideas?

Label Star
leamas

I had similar issues. Removing ~/.cache/spotify and removing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH I used for 0.8.4 fixed it.

The load path seems odd. I get warnings while packaging for extremely odd RPATHs. They dont exit on my syste, so I avoid patching them. Perhaps I should, though.

Roadie
ost2life

It's great, and it all looks pretty, but if it's only importing a small fraction of my aparently compliant MP3 (Read: NOT M4A, WAV, FLAC, OGG or WMA - proper, honest-to-dog MP3) then it's pretty pointless to me, which is a shame, because I really really want to love it. I really do. I'm still paying, I'm not threatening to leave - I just want it to work properly. Please?

Announcements
Win free Premium
We're fans of music around here. And amazing animated GIFs.
So, for our next competition we're combining the two.

Join our new contest here.

Did you know?

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.