Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
jakul

New notifications - how do I disable/remove it?

Hi,

I want to disable and/or remove the notifications icon that has recently appeared.

I don't find it useful, and the big red circle is quite distracting when I'm using the UI.

How can I make it go away?

--Craig

Award Winning Artist
hpguru
I'm a Community Rock Star

Re: New notifications - how do I disable/remove it?

You can't remove it. It's in Spotify.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 50M/25M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Music Fan
Blackwing

I am looking for a solution for this, too.  It's not only irritating but its permanent presence makes the concept of a notification pretty useless.  Unless I happen to remember what the number was before, it's hard to tell if there is a new message.

Music Lover
sleepyhead81

+1. I just want to listen to music. Focus on music, not on a social network.

Music Fan
elbobcat

Yeah, seriously the notifications are really annoying. For perspectives sake, yeah, overall Spotify is cool, however, just allow me to turn off the notifications if I want to. In a world of endless, pointless notifications, this notificaion is the least consequential and interesting of all. 

Music Fan
images4

I totally agree - a whole list of what people I don't know have done to their list - what's the point? I rarely take aginst anything as much as this.... uuurghh -set to private session agaaaaaaaain!

Music Fan
AndrewG622

If you don't want to see activity within spotify, one way I found is just to turn off the notifications is to go to the tab "View" and then unselect "People list". Hope this helps. 

Community Legend
Stupify

That doesn't turn off notifications, it just hides the right sidebar. Notifications are the useless tidbits of crap that appears when you click the loudspeaker icon. If there's unread notifications, it shows a distracting bright number on it and there is no way to hide it.

You can create an account without Facebook so Spotify won't bother you with your friends details, that's the only way to make the annoying notifications stop. You'll still get a notification if a subscribed playlist gets updated but that may actually be useful.

World Tour
Marco
I'm a Community Rock Star

Stupify wrote:

That doesn't turn off notifications, it just hides the right sidebar. Notifications are the useless tidbits of crap that appears when you click the loudspeaker icon. If there's unread notifications, it shows a distracting bright number on it and there is no way to hide it.

If there is no way to turn it off and it really bothers you that much, you could just change the icon into a less "distracting" colour.

I don't use facebook at my Spotify account but if it's about a red circle in taskbar icon it's probably the "win7-taskbar-badge" bitmap in Spotify resources.zip. Change the colour or even make it transparent and re-add it to resources.zip while Spotify is closed.

Of course it's not really a solution and just to lessen the "pain" of seeing that bright colour till there's an official option to disable it (you would have to do it again each update too).

We just need more freedom of choice when it comes to design -> support also this idea please if you think so too : Customizing Skins

Music Fan
libryder

Spotify is the only thing in my dock that notifies me every hour of something I frankly don't care about. It's getting to the point of me considering an alternative. I have apps that should bounce their icon and give me a notiication count, for example, Thunderbird and Pidgin. 

"XxxDudeXxx added a track to random playlist" is tiresome. So. So. Tiresome. 

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.