Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Solved!

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Hello,

Is there a limit on the number of albums you can SAVE to YOUR MUSIC section? I'm only half way through saving albums from my old playlists and this feature stopped working... 

If I UNSAVE another album, i can SAVE a new one.

298 Replies

Hmmm. This "feature" and the lack of integration of my local files with Your Music will be leading me to cancel my subscription.

The 10,000 music limit would be issue enough but to compound that:

a) Initially when this happens (on iPhone at least) it just saves the tracks as normal. If you spend a few hours, like I did, adding albums too bad. That's all gone...

b) No error message when you try and save a track on Desktop. It flicks to Saved and the straight back again. This is Software Design 101 stuff. Maybe you're decided to not support 10,000 songs, that's you're perogative. Lack of any error messaging or guideance is just bad design and speaks to little thought to how people will actually be using the app.

If the limit is increased before I manage to move my 10,000 (+1?) tracks over to Google Play it will be a tough choice to move over as I prefer a Desktop app. If not (and it doesn't sound like this is coming any time soon anyway) I won't be coming back to Spotify.

mpj's rationale (page 😎 for making all the unpopular changes in view of thousands of user complaints escapes me. I can hardly believe his claim that 99% of all users don't collect more than 500 songs at a time. Even if that were true, the previous version accomodated both those types of users and big collectors, but the new major update leaves the latter group in the lurch, those who have the most to lose. Even if we accept the fact that all of our saved albums and songs are in the Playlist column, Spotify shafted us by removing stars (check marks) from 80% of those saved items - intentionally or as a result of code writers' incompetence during the transfer to the new system. Stars were popular among all types of customers. How does removing them help to please "99 percenters"?

Spotify can't or won't repair swiftly anything as minor in execution but major in functionality as the (at-times) invisible scroll thumb. Depending on the number of items on the song list, it can be as little as a button. If you are at the top of the list, the thumb/button on top of the screen is almost invisible, especially if there is a bright-lit commercial next to it. It becomes fully visible if you scroll up to around the middle of the screen. Is this what 99% of your users wanted? Is this what party-goers ask you to do when they approach you reverentially as a big Spotify guy? Fat chance! Why is it so hard to color this scroller the way it was before or the way that it will be visible in all environments? I don't remember anyone complaining about it before. I don't remeber that as a problem with any other scroll bar ever in the three decades of the Internet. Is Spotify now trying to be in the vanguard of the user-unfriendly movement?

Great to see a reply on this thread from someone on the development team at Spotify.

I think we all just hope that a solution to this issue will be resolved within a reasonable time frame.

Please keep us posted on developments regarding this issue. I've had to cease using the collections feature and instead revert back to just adding a never-ending stream of new playlists to keep track of new releases.

One More Thing: Would be great to make the Songs and Albums sections of "Your Music" on the mobile apps sortable by "Recently Added"

Thanks @MPJ

I use my album saves as a digital album library, I don't want to be limited to how many I can save, especially when it's nothing more than a UID put into my row in the database.  I see no technical reason for this limitation, though I don't know F about SQL and the like.  But I would imagine Spotify's biggest proponents are the people who love to listen to a variety of music and bouncing from genre to genre and this implementation is unnecessary.  I'm illogical, if I can't represent my digital collection in the manner I want I will eventually get fed up of rediscovering bands I couldn't save prior and have forgotten about and just go back to spending $300+ on Amazon monthly.

Same problem here. It's very annoying not being able to save albums and artists that you appreciate somewhere, without creating 10,000 unsorted playlists. Please Spotify, do something for this! 😉

Like some other users, if I find a service that has no limits to create a collection, at this price, I will probably change. If anyone knows one, I will be delighted to know! 🙂

-

google music. it only has a limit of 1.000 songs for user created playlists. your collection is unlimited.

@krist1977 wrote:

google music. it only has a limit of 1.000 songs for user created playlists. your collection is unlimited.

That is way too low for me. I have several playlists well over that limit.

I gotta recommend Google Music, as well. This post may mysteriously get deleted for promoting a competitor, but I just cancelled Spotify in May because of this 10,000 song limit and went to Google and haven't looked back.  I can't speak for the 1,000 song playlist limit as I haven't reached that point on any of them yet (i purposefully keep them as small as possible so I  can pin them to my phone for offline listening without taking up all of my available hard drive space), but other than that Google has the unlimited collections that Spotify is now horribly missing. It features the same style of streaming that spotify does, along with Pandora-like radio station features and much better integration of your local music with the free 20,000 song cloud storage.  Spotify's library is bigger at the moment, but other than a few beloved albums here and there the only really noticable omissions are big name acts like Led Zeppelin and Metallica that signed exclusive rights to Spotify & Apple (and if you don't already have some of their stuff and aren't willing to upload it as part of your cloud storage, then you're probably not the type of person who has more than 10,000 song and have a need to be reading this list, anyway.)

an alternative you can save an album like a playlist there you can have tons of albums save without the ridiculous 10000 songs limit.

"Hey guys, just to reiterate our position here: We are working on changing so that tracks from added albums are not counted towards your collection limit. Our hypothesis is that this is actually the main culprit rather than the limit itself. If it turns out that this isn't the case, we will, of course, raise the limit."

This would be great and would fix my problem with it, providing there wasn't some sort of similarly limiting ceiling on adding albums. I'm pretty new to Spotify and was mainly sold on its virtual album collection interface, so I took a lot of time adding older albums and was about to subscribe to Premium but there doesn't seem to be much point if I can't add albums anymore already. I know there are crude workarounds with playlists and whatever but I'd prefer to wait for this to be fixed if it's going to be. This seems to be the last time anyone from Spotify commented on this and there has been no projection on when the fix can be expected as far as I can tell. Based on the negative comments I've seen searching this forum, I think a little communication on this point would go a long way.

Also, my ability to add albums stopped at just over 9,300 songs, not at the 10,000 limit. I'm not as worried about this because I'd just run into the same problem again a few dozen albums down the line, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

This 10,000 limit is the probably worst decision Spotify has ever made. Forget paying for a premium account any longer. Cancelling my premium account until this is rectified (and, frankly, I may not come back).

Furthermore, it's not like we can honestly say that is just one isolated incident of poor decision making. Spotify has made plenty of dumb choices along the way, and generally done so with an eff-you attitude toward it's users.

And, my gawwwd, don't you pretty little princesses just take your sweet time in getting around to rolling out necessary changes.

Can anyone recommend a decnt alternative to Spotify?  I have loved and used it for ages but this new 'your music limit is just plain stupid!!!

I'd like to go somewhere else now.  Even though I will have to collect all my music again at least I'll be able to play it all on shuffle if I feel like it.

I really can't believe how stupid spotify are sometimes!?!!?!?!?!?!????!!!!!!  Why bring in new featurs that are so much worse than the old ones?

@mpj wrote:

Hey guys, just to reiterate our position here: We are working on changing so that tracks from added albums are not counted towards your collection limit. 

Over 3 months later and Your Music still has this ridiculous 10,000 song limit.

Not a word out of Spotify.

Depressing. 

its obvious Spotify does not care about its "Minorities" only its "Monies"

I think this is all a misunderstanding about how spotify is being used. They say its very few people that use that many tracks but it think its just that people are not syncing to devices that many tracks. I think that they are using numbers based on how may tracks people are syncing and using that as cover. I bet they have to pay more if the tracks are synced and want to limit exposure. This is just my conspiricy theory. I have no proof. Ok ill go back to my rock.

Please give Kudos to this idea if you think the Your Music 10,000 song limit needs to be removed.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Increase-maximum-songs-allowed-in-quot-Your-Music-quot...

NOW I HATE SPOTIFY & I'M PAID USER AND SPOTIFY LIMIT ME FOR MY FAVORED SONG, I WILL CANCELLED MY SERVICE AND MOVED TO NEW Guvera MUSIC PROVIDER, WHAT A RUDE SPOTIFY! WASTE MY NEW PURCHASE 128GB MICROSD FOR MY PHONE! **bleep** SPOTIFY! NOT YET MENTION MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION CHARGES.

NOW I HATE SPOTIFY & I'M PAID USER AND SPOTIFY LIMIT ME FOR MY FAVORED SONG, I WILL CANCELLED MY SERVICE AND MOVED TO NEW Guvera MUSIC PROVIDER, WHAT A RUDE SPOTIFY! WASTE MY NEW PURCHASE 128GB MICROSD FOR MY PHONE! **bleep** SPOTIFY! NOT YET MENTION MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION CHARGES.

Yep, I've just discovered this little... I'll call it a bug. Not happy. And seeing that this is fairly old issue by now I'm assuming they have no plans to fix it. I assume that it has something to do with licensing or some other music business bull, but I don't care much for those things. I had hoped that Spotify would be my "record shop" of the future, but this is just depressing. I will most likely not remain a paid user for very long... 

only reason i am usin spotify, becuase it only works on my itouch while rdio doesnt :(. once i upgrade my touch, ill back on rdio. spotify has been garbage for so many years. 

Suggested posts