Bedroom Songwriter
chrislounsbury

Premium - Crackling, Stuttering

After a day of futzing around with this, I'm at wits end.

I'm using a Dell Latitude laptop (work laptop).  It has a fully updated version of Windows 7 64-bit.  Since the last update (I think) I've bee hearing crackling and stuttering in any and all tracks.  It comes and goes, there could be 30 seconds of pristine playback and then a brief crackle/stutter.  

After searching the forums and Intertubes, here's the things I've tried:

1. Resetting sound device settings, and trying various stample rates and bit-depths

2. Toggling off Hardware Acceleration

3. Toggling off Play all songs at same volume

4.  High quality streaming

5.  Downloading playlists local

I went so far as to drop $100 on a USB DAC that bypasses my built in Soundcard in my laptop and docking station, and the crackling still persists.  

It does NOT happen in iTunes, Windows Media Player, or in YouTube videos.  Only Spotify.  I'm getting really frustrated, as I'm paying $10 a month for a service that is almost unusable to me for 8-10 hours a day.  

It works fine on my iPhone and my several Macs at home without issues.  Only my Windows 7 machine that's causing the problem.  

Spotify
David

Re: Premium - Crackling, Stuttering

Hello.

That's rather worrying. We might need to get a little more information here -

* When Spotify is running, open up Task Manager. How much of the CPU is Spotify using, and how much CPU is being used in total.
* Are you using any firewalls / anti-virus programs at all? If so, is Spotify added to the Exceptions list?
* Are there any other media applications open?

-----
Spotify
Bedroom Songwriter
chrislounsbury

[ Edited ]

No other media apps running.  In fact I've disabled all Windows sounds as well.  Spotify has been running for about an hour, I'm listening to an offline playlist:

CPU: 00 - 01

Memory: 104,276k

System-wide stats:

CPU: 0-1% (Quad i7)

Memory Used: 1.93GB / 4.00GB

My company uses the Microsoft Security Essentials product for Anti-virus.  Spotify wasn't added as an exclusion, so I added the \AppData\Local\Spotify folder as an exclusion, as well as the processes from spotify.exe and spotifylauncher.exe.

Had no effect, restarted and got a brief crackle/stutter in the first song played.

Bedroom Songwriter
chrislounsbury

So I got so annoyed by this that I just uninstalled Spotify and re-installed it using a fresh download of the client from the website.

Now not only do I have the clicking and stutters, but the audio quality seems severely degraded, even though I have the High Quality streaming box checked and increased the Cache size to 100GB.

Music Fan
Rodowens

I had the same problem start yesterday. It occurs on our IPhone, Android3, and IPad. I emailed customer support and was blown off and told to check the forum for a solution. Thanks Spotify.
Bedroom Songwriter
chrislounsbury

Rodowens wrote:
I had the same problem start yesterday. It occurs on our IPhone, Android3, and IPad. I emailed customer support and was blown off and told to check the forum for a solution. Thanks Spotify.

It works flawlessly on my non-Windows devices.  The sound quality coming off my iPhone is 10x better than the Windows app.  Likewise at home, I can stream Spotify from both my Mac's wireless to my home theatre system and it sounds great.

So it's only happening for me on the Windows client.

Spotify
David

It's rather odd that it's just isolated to the one computer. I assume that you're all using the same internet connection.

One thing you could try is this -
1. Restart your PC.
2. Right-click on the Spotify icon in the start up menu.
3. Select "Properties" and under the tab "Compatibility Mode" uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode"
4. Start Spotify.
-----
Spotify
Bedroom Songwriter
chrislounsbury

David wrote:
It's rather odd that it's just isolated to the one computer. I assume that you're all using the same internet connection.

One thing you could try is this -
1. Restart your PC.
2. Right-click on the Spotify icon in the start up menu.
3. Select "Properties" and under the tab "Compatibility Mode" uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode"
4. Start Spotify.

The Compatability mode wasn't checked.  Just for kicks I tried running it in compat mode for Win XP SP3 and no change.  No change using other types as well.

I also checked Run as Administrator (thinking maybe it wasn't using the sound-system exclusively or something) and no change as well.  

It's worth noting that today the sound is playing at full resolution, unlike yesterday where it all sounded muffled or like it was playing at 96kbps.  But the crackling/stutter is persisting.

Bedroom Songwriter
chrislounsbury

Also, the crackling/stutter occurs in both the Radio and in tracks in my playlist.

My internet connection is 40Mbps bi-directional fiber.  

Bedroom Songwriter
chrislounsbury

More information:

Playing a track in Windows Media player = fine

Playing that same track through Spotify using the Local Files folder = crackling

I've definately narrowed down every possibility, it's the Spotify client that's causing the issue, even when playing non-Spotify local content.

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.