Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop (0.9.0.133)

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop (0.9.0.133)

What's new in this version (0.9.0.133):

• Fixed internal issues that were causing interruptions these last couple of days

More information

The last couple of days our service has seen some unexpected interruptions. This release should alleviate most of it not all of those issues.

If you experience any issues after updating to this version please reply here and provide as much detail as possible.

And should you need help figuring out what "much detail" could mean (you're not alone in this) then please have a look at the troubleshooting guides at the top of the desktop help forum.

Community Ergo Sum
95 Replies

@jwylot wrote:

Bug report (Using Windows 7 x64)

While in the preferences screen when cursor is still in the lastfm username box, clicking on the playlist image in bottom left causes Spotify to exit.

Go figure 🙂

I can confirm this, let me get this reported to the staff for you. 

Per is on the ball today! 😄

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

An update forced onto people who don't want it, i.e. all of us who have chosen to use older versions, is not good policy.  I have lost whatever respect I had left for the Spotify staff.

No comments, no apology, no nothing.

It could be an error, we don't know yet. 

Peter

Peter

--"An update forced onto people who don't want it, i.e. all of us who have chosen to use older versions, is not good policy.  I have lost whatever respect I had left for the Spotify staff.

No comments, no apology, no nothing."--

Yes, the silence on this issue from Spotify is infuriating and frustrating. It comes across as arrogant, and is a textbook example of terrible customer service.

Peter, you know as well as I do that there was a consious effort made to force this garbage on those of us who have made a consious choice to use an older, more stable and more feature rich version.

Forcing the update was no error in itself (only where it affected those OSX users whose OS isn't compatible with newer versions (i.e. OSX 10.5).

In an ideal world we want every Spotify user to have the same experience and be able to use the same content inside the app. At some point that means helping everyone get to the same version.

Using an undocumented and officially unsupported workaround to stay on an old version, I guess, can work for a while, but at some point it's not feasible any more.

I say this, because it seems likely that, once this OSX issue is resolved, we will once again "force" update to the latest Spotify version.

Community Ergo Sum

Well there is the answer ^ 

Peter

Peter

--"Forcing the update was no error in itself (only where it affected those OSX users whose OS isn't compatible with newer versions (i.e. OSX 10.5).

In an ideal world we want every Spotify user to have the same experience and be able to use the same content inside the app. At some point that means helping everyone get to the same version.

Using an undocumented and officially unsupported workaround to stay on an old version, I guess, can work for a while, but at some point it's not feasible any more.

I say this, because it seems likely that, once this OSX issue is resolved, we will once again "force" update to the latest Spotify version."--

Wow, just wow. Will Spotify ever listen to its customers? I'm definitely looking for an alternative.

Spotify thinks it's 'helping everyone get to the same version', when in fact they're forcing everyone kicking and screaming to have something they don't want. Arrogant beyong belief.

@Goodman wrote:

I say this, because it seems likely that, once this OSX issue is resolved, we will once again "force" update to the latest Spotify version.

Why on earth would you want to force us to use inferior software with features removed that we are used to using.  I've said this more than once today, Per, LACK OF TRACK NUMBERS AND LACK OF COVER ART IN THE PLAYLISTS ARE TOTAL DEAL BREAKERS.

And I don't apprectiate ANYONE messing with the software thats installed on MY computer.

@Goodman wrote:

In an ideal world these updates would have never happened. At some point have to stop paying you money. So I just canceled my premium subscription.

@Goodman wrote:

Forcing the update was no error in itself (only where it affected those OSX users whose OS isn't compatible with newer versions (i.e. OSX 10.5).

OK then i'll bite.

Why do you want every spotify user to have exactly the same experience whether they like it or not?

Why don't you want spotify users to have the experience that they want?

what a load of horse sh*t

Not necessarily. .133 supoosedly fixed problems with intermittent streaming. It is possible that a bug in the previous versions either hogged the servers or caused p2p malfunction. Thus, to restore network stability, the update had to be forced on everyone.

It's only my conjecture, but I thin it is plausible

@what2thewhat wrote:

Not really.

What if there was a bug in an older version?

What if there was a bug that allowed someone to gain access to your computer?

Also, it is much easier to troubleshoot people when they are using the same/similar versions of clients.

Also, what if Spotify changed something server side? Everything in the old clients would stop working then anyway.

Per (Community Manager) wrote

Forcing the update was no error in itself (only where it affected those OSX users whose OS isn't compatible with newer versions (i.e. OSX 10.5).

In an ideal world we want every Spotify user to have the same experience and be able to use the same content inside the app. At some point that means helping everyone get to the same version.

Join us on twitter
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All i will say is that Spotify are a foolish and ridiculous company to put it politely. You have paying customers who do not wish to be subject to your rubbish new client and are very happy with version 0.8.5. Watch your bottom line losses escalate and your jobs go down the drain my Spotify friends. Your CEO will not be able to eat his Sony plaque presented for the pushing of Daft punk's single when Spotify cease to exist in a few years time which it surely will. Can you not see the extent of anger amongst your customers and are you so foolish as to think that this vocal minority is it. There will be many many more who will say nothing and just cancel their subscription. Spotify arrogance is just incredible it really is.

That's nice. It'd be great if it actually WORKED.

@LiamW wrote:

@what2thewhat wrote:

Not really.

Yes, really. 

Liam, I haven't seen a single post by you where you've done anything except tow the company line.   You are not helpful.

Liam, go away.

@Rollo_ wrote:

@LiamW wrote:

@what2thewhat wrote:

Not really.

Yes, really. 

Liam, I haven't seen a single post by you where you've done anything except tow the company line.   You are not helpful.

You clearly didn't look very hard then, Liam has a lot of helpful posts around the community. Don't be so disrespectful, he is allowed his opinion just as much as you are. 

Peter

Peter

At some point that means helping everyone get to the same version.

Your sh*tty "updates" are certainly helping everyone get to the same version . . . of Rdio.

Every time I see a new Spotify ad I think "idiots".

Suggested posts