Community Manager
Community Manager
Per
Accepted Solution

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop 0.9.4

It's time for another update.

What's new with this release (0.9.4):

• A new app for messages!
    this is gradually rolling out, so don't fret if you don't see a change right away
  • When re-starting Spotify your last playlist position will now be available
  • More languages!
  • Proxy authentication support for views
  • Linux only: Media key support in Gnome
    Coming soon!
  • Stability and performance fixes
  • Fixed a lot of crashes, especially on shutdown/log out
  • Fixed crash when adding tracks to large playlists

Additional technical notes:
The Desktop application uses the "Chromium Embedded Framework" (CEF), which is a way to include the functionality of a web browser (based on Chrome) in the application - this enables us to develop features in modern programming languages and gives us the possibility to fix issues faster.

This update includes a major upgrade, from CEF1 to CEF3.

CEF 1 was "single process" and if it got stuck doing something - the whole application would "suffer."
CEF 3 is a "multi process" version - this means it can do more things at the same time, and if any single thing that it is doing slows down, the rest of the application can continue normally.
CEF 3 also allows us to use hardware acceleration on graphics cards - like the latest browsers, it basically uses the computer's hardware both smarter and faster. Users should see much smoother performance in areas that are graphics intensive, like scrolling through long lists.

What is worth mentioning though is that this is a major "under the hood" change (techies may be interested in reading more on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_Embedded_Framework.)
Also, there's always a risk of unexpected issues with such "big" changes, but we are sure that it's the right thing for us to do - and hopefully our users will understand that they will get a much improved experience thanks to this.

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Band Member
Rollo_

Re: Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop 0.9.4

[ Edited ]

A few days ago I was able to replicate the bug in 0.9.1.57 where dragging tracks into a playlist crashes.  Right-Click, no problem.  While in the process of checking another idea, I JUST received the 0.9.4.169 update and installed it, fresh new install in Sandboxie.

Had to wait for all my playlists to load, but the program was responsive while doing so, a welcome change from 0.9.1.57.

Nearly all my settings were saved in preferences.

Still no album or album graphics support  No filter in the artist pages either.  CRAP.  These two shortcomings definitely keep me from updating for usage on a day-to-day normal usage.

Artist pages still bright white.  No biggie.

They've killed off What's New once and for all.  "spotify:app:home" opens Discover.  What's New still working on 0.8.3.

Software became unresponsive once I got to an artist page [playlists are not finished loading].

Waiting for playlists to load before attempting to drag music to existing playlist.

Confirm Delete Playlist is back, both with right-click and delete key.

The good news.  NO MORE CRASHING WHEN DRAGGING ALBUMS OR TRACKS TO PLAYLISTS.

Gonna check out the other noted changes later this evening.

If this post was helpful, please click the green "+" button below

Read my take on YourMusic HERE.

If you like the Starred list and its ease of use, and would like to see its return, please support by adding Kudos and comments HERE

If you'd like a lean and fast Spotify desktop, without all the default apps slowing things down, please support my idea thread to opt out of them by adding an option to turn them off and on in Preferences. Staff has shown interest in this idea. Click the "Kudos" button and add your comments   HERE

Concert Regular
kiewic

Lots of kudos for the Spotify dev team!! This update makes the Spotify desktop app into a touch-friendly app, great integration with Windows touch devices! Thank you!! How hard would it be to make the app maximize and resize when pressing WIN LOGO + RIGHT ARROW and WIN LOGO + UP ARROW?? Great update, great performance.
Posted from Facebook
Garage Band
BigKev57

Well i'm still happily sticking to version 0.8.5 thank you kindly as all updated versions since are far less superior than the old version. 

Concert VIP
RubberChicken

Everything works fine, except for one thing. I have a very annoying problem that started yesterday after I updated Spotify to the newest version. Even though the "Repeat" button is off the playlists wont's stop playing, they just repeat themselves after the last track. I tried restarting the program and reinstalled it but the problem did not disappear.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Garage Band
miles_351

[ Edited ]

I can confirm, the repeat feature is broken. Not a big deal to me personally since I always enable repeat, but hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.

MY PLAYLISTS 
Transcend - The biggest, most uplifting and euphoric trance tunes. Updated regularly.
Progressive trance | big room, edm | dubstep, elecro, dnb | lounge | new age | 50's - 80's | and more...
Music Fan
goldenhornet

kiewic wrote:
How hard would it be to make the app maximize and resize when pressing WIN LOGO + RIGHT ARROW and WIN LOGO + UP ARROW?? Great update, great performance.

Aero snap used to work, I'd say it's been broken for over a year and a half at this point, nearly two years.

They show no signs of wanting to make it work again.    It's pretty annoying for a modern windows app.

Peter
Kudos: 11,162
Solutions: 3,117

I can't remember a time aero snap ever worked for me. 

Agreed, it is pretty annoying - I constantly tap the Spotify window off the top of my screen expecting it to maximise. 

If you haven't already done so, add your kudos to this ideas topic too

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

RTH
Music Lover
RTH

Thanks for the update :)

But Spotify still doesn't save/remember how  the playlists are sorted, i.e. after newest added. (Version 0.9.4.1.69.gc0399df6 on Win8 Pro 64bit). When you close the program you have to start sorting again. A bit annoying :S

Concert Regular
PhilippBr

Spotify is crashing after installing the update every time i try to play a song (doesn't matter if its offline song or streaming). My system is: MacProRetina with 10.8.5. (latest version). I didn't have any problems before. would be great to get feedback.

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.