We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.Learn more here

Close
Community Manager
Community Manager
Per
Accepted Solution

Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop 0.9.6

[ Edited ]
Desktop Release Notes
What's new in version 0.9.6
  • Browse is now on desktop
  • Spotify now speaks Japanese, Russian and Indonesian
  • Bug and crash fixes
Additional Notes
- Download it here
Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more space!
Garage Band
xbrett83

Re: Release Notes - Spotify for Desktop 0.9.6

Instead of attempting to fix the underlying issues, they add a browse sidebar to cover up more glaring errors. Now granted for people looking to discover music the browse feature is a solid start, but to add that before taking care of the real problems is just another slap in the face. It's too slow to function. Pages don't load fast enough, if at all. I got a new macbook yesterday, and it's already slowing the whole system down. Oh and how hard is it to bring back the drag and drop? And the inbox system just isn't cutting it. Go back to the old way. Sure it's nice to be able to chat with people, but it's much more difficult to keep track of the songs sent to you. There's got to be a better way while still being able to separate out chats with friends.

My point is take care of the problems people are complaining about before adding stuff that no one has even requested. I mean really what's the point of Discover if there's a Browse function? Just put Discover in Browse.

Garage Band
icemaker

When I click on Browse nothing happens. I just get an infinite loading animation.

Band Member
Rollo_

Browse is loading for me today, so is Discover, but still not the Activity Feed.  In my 0.8.3 install, when I last checked the Activity Feed, it was way out of date. This old software version shows when a track has been played by a friend, and the most recent was several days ago.

From what I've been seeing, some of the stalling problems seem to be as a result of the feeds not being available, an ongoing and inevitable problem.  But overall, other than the still missing features, this version seems pretty good.  Not excellent, but pretty good.

Today I was experiencing a spike in CPU usage on startup that didn't go away.  This is unacceptable, as it drains my notebook battery quickly.  You can sometimes close and reopen the software, or restart you computer, to correct this.  It worked for me today.  As always, YMMV.

Follow my complete evaluation of the 0.9.6 version here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/New-Version-0-9-6-72-initial-evaluation/m...

If this post was helpful, please click the green "+" button below

Read my take on YourMusic HERE.

If you'd like to revert to an old version that still has the old Starred List ease of use, and to prevent it from updating, read my guide HERE.

If you like the Starred list and its ease of use, and would like to see its return, please support by adding Kudos and comments HERE

If you'd like a lean and fast Spotify desktop, without all the default apps slowing things down, please support my idea thread to opt out of them by adding an option to turn them off and on in Preferences. Staff has shown interest in this idea. Click the "Kudos" button and add your comments   HERE

Bedroom Songwriter
multikev

[ Edited ]

Browse, Discover? What? I don't understand the difference. Also, Discover seems to be broken now.

Biggest problem though, is that Browse is now filled with completely useless 'news' - it's terrible.

Pregnancy tip, teen romance tips? Wow. Absolutely awful.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 17.05.48.png
josh77
Kudos: 226

I like the new features, but it seems a little boated now. Haha, maybe it just because i have so many playlists. 

Hope this helped :)

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you! What's a Spotify Rock Star?

Garage Band
xbrett83

those browse ads wtf....

Peter
Kudos: 9,480
Solutions: 2,632

Browse and Discover provide different functions in my opinion. 

Browse is an easy way to find playlists you want to listen to (as a generic playlist finding tool), and also brings back new releases. Some of the news stuff is interesting too if you like a laugh early in the morning!

Discover offers personalised recommendations based on your listening history. 

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Community PM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Band Member
Rollo_

multikev wrote:

Browse, Discover? What? I don't understand the difference. Also, Discover seems to be broken now.

Biggest problem though, is that Browse is now filled with completely useless 'news' - it's **bleep**.

Pregnancy tip, teen romance tips? Wow. Absolutely awful.

I'm looking at my own News section, and am seeing the same thing.  I hadn't looked around much until now.  Seems like more Facebook "sponsored ads" type crap.  My advice, avoid that section entirely.  Like some of the other apps, Browse overall is quite resource intensive.  Lots of CPU spikes and some occasional freezes.  Personally, I don't find the information contained of much value to me.  Seems like its just pushing the newest popular releases, without targeting me directly.  The good news, it didn't see a single mention of either Miley Cyrus or Robin Thicke.

If this post was helpful, please click the green "+" button below

Read my take on YourMusic HERE.

If you'd like to revert to an old version that still has the old Starred List ease of use, and to prevent it from updating, read my guide HERE.

If you like the Starred list and its ease of use, and would like to see its return, please support by adding Kudos and comments HERE

If you'd like a lean and fast Spotify desktop, without all the default apps slowing things down, please support my idea thread to opt out of them by adding an option to turn them off and on in Preferences. Staff has shown interest in this idea. Click the "Kudos" button and add your comments   HERE

Bedroom Songwriter
multikev

Rollo_ wrote:

I'm looking at my own News section, and am seeing the same thing.  I hadn't looked around much until now.  Seems like more Facebook "sponsored ads" type crap.  My advice, avoid that section entirely. 

I will, but it is the default page that opens up for me.

Rollo_ wrote:

The good news, it didn't see a single mention of either Miley Cyrus or Robin Thicke.

You should be so lucky!
Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 17.32.50.png
Announcements
Win free Premium
This contest is now closed. The winners will be posted here very soon.

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.