Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove from startup

Solved!

Remove from startup

Spotify automatically starts up when I turn my computer on. How do I stop that? I am using windows 7 os.

169 Replies

@bnprcm wrote:

Mea culpa. Peter was right, it IS in Spotify > Preferences, at the bottom. When I opened Preferences, it appeared I was seeing all the options, so I didn't attempt to scroll down below the visible options. When I did, it was right where he said it should be, and the automatic-open circle had been ticked. 

It is now un-ticked.

Glad you got it sorted 🙂

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

One of the most unfriendly UIs I've ever seen... I'm "trying" this... there is NO option for settings etc...  if there is it is hidden... I've had pretty much enough...

@willclark218 wrote:

One of the most unfriendly UIs I've ever seen... I'm "trying" this... there is NO option for settings etc...  if there is it is hidden... I've had pretty much enough...

Hi! If you want to get to Prefences menu in the Spotify client on Windows it may be easier for you to just try: CTRL+P. That should do it! Hope it works for you!

Don't forget to scroll down, the Auto launch options are at the bottom of the preferences section 😉

Peter

Peter

Thank you! Thank you!  This appears to have worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times waiting to catch the moment when it would ASK ME if I wanted it to automatically start.  I know it must seem obvious to the developers, but this has obviously frustrated a lot of customers.  Perhaps in the future make the default NOT to automatically start.  I love the program, but I was ready to ditch it.

Ever time  I close Spotify even with the Pref. set not to, I get a warning from AV/Firewall saying Spotify is trying to "set to run each time your computer is started". Then I have click Deny six times ever time. I have uninstalled twice. I am not fan of my computer being hijacked and I am certainly not paying for it to be. 

@cwmanley wrote:

Ever time  I close Spotify even with the Pref. set not to, I get a warning from AV/Firewall saying Spotify is trying to "set to run each time your computer is started". Then I have click Deny six times ever time. I have uninstalled twice. I am not fan of my computer being hijacked and I am certainly not paying for it to be. 

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Try the steps outlined in this tutorial and see if you can set it not to launch.

Peter

Peter

This does not solve the issue, and the orignial post should not say "this is solved."

I have taken spotify out of startup in msconfig, I have ensured it is not in my startup folder and I have selected the "Don't open automatically" radio button in Edit -> Preferences. However, it still opens upon startup.

This has been an issue for awhile and has not been addressed. Why is Spotify acting more like a virus and less like a legitimate application!? It should not override the user's decision to keep it from starting upon startup.

Very frustrating. I am very close to uninstalling.

+1 agreed, agreed, agreed - after my $10 gift card expires, I, too, will be uninstalling if this is not resolved

Spotify developers: from one engineer to another........really? work with the BAs and get this removed from the app

This just started happening for me following an update.  ...and man does it p1ss me off.

I happen to be a software developer myself and I would never dream of creating something that launches on startup by default.  Can you imagine the mess we'd have if every company did the same thing?

It takes a massive amount of arrogance on the part of Spotify to do something like this.  It's basically saying "Screw you, and your machine, and whatever the heck you want. We're going to launch our app at startup because it makes business sense for us and the typical user won't have a clue how to change it."

...and please, spare me the details regarding options, preferences or any kind of fix.  I already know how to fix it.  ...by UNINSTALLING.

To the know-it-alls smugly telling people to "just go to the Edit Menu":

There is nothing anywhere that says edit.  There is nothing anywhere that says preferences.  There is no Spotify menu.  I have scrolled to the bottom of every available tab.  You are talking nonsense.

Control-P does nothing.

This is on a fresh install on Windows 7.

I was planning to take a little time and figure out how Spotify is intended to be used to find new music, but the UI is impenetrable and this autostart issue is just plain rude.  Spotify's decision makers ought to read David Gerrold's article on rude software.

@Orthonormal wrote:

To the know-it-alls smugly telling people to "just go to the Edit Menu":

There is nothing anywhere that says edit.  There is nothing anywhere that says preferences.  There is no Spotify menu.  I have scrolled to the bottom of every available tab.  You are talking nonsense.

Control-P does nothing.

This is on a fresh install on Windows 7.

I was planning to take a little time and figure out how Spotify is intended to be used to find new music, but the UI is impenetrable and this autostart issue is just plain rude.  Spotify's decision makers ought to read David Gerrold's article on rude software.

Hey 🙂 

If you are missing the top menu then it sounds like you are using the web/desktop beta rather than the stable desktop client. 

Try downloading and installing from http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe and you should then have those options. 

Peter

Peter

Clicking on "Don't open automatically" in the Preferences dialog DOESN'T work.  I've tried changing MSCONFIG and I'm done with it.  I like Spotify, but I wan't to control what launches on my PC and when.  Spoitify takes too long to load to want to include it in my startup sequence anyway.  SOLUTION:  Uninstall Spotify. I'll miss it a little, but it's just not worth the hassle.  Back to Grooveshark...

I solved my Mac/Spotify startup problem.  Spot remote server (lets you control your desktop spotify via an iDevice) was in the startup items in my user account.  That, in turn, was opening Spotify at startup.

On a Mac, I went to Spotify > Preferences. At the bottom of the page, I unchecked "Open automatically" and checked "Don't open automatically." No more annoying wait times while Spotify opened!  PS. I also unchecked a host of other automatic options around sharing.

Agreed - utter rubbish - I'm not hunting thru pages of community pages to rectify this issue.... FIT IT SPOTIFY !!!!!!

@delkirk wrote:

Agreed - utter rubbish - I'm not hunting thru pages of community pages to rectify this issue.... FIT IT SPOTIFY !!!!!!

What issue are you having exactly? and on what platform? 

Peter

Peter

uninstalled.... going back to Pandora this is stupid. Good thing I only tried this out for 1 day

Ditto. OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3. All preferences have been set correctly within the app and the app is not set to open at startup in any system setting that I can find. Yet it still #@^$$% opens. I was a Spotify user for years before this; this problem began when I upgraded to a new MBP with 10.3.8. I had been considering trying premium but now I'm leaning heavily toward uninstalling. Pandora is free on my Roku anyway.

agreed - i'm about 2 weeks out from my gift card expiry

spotify: 2 things to save you from yourself:

1) don't start the app on startup by default / add OBVIOUS option to disable this

2) provide an option to exit the app on mobile devices (like pandora and most others do)

Suggested posts