Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
cwolff11
Accepted Solution

Remove from startup

Spotify automatically starts up when I turn my computer on. How do I stop that? I am using windows 7 os.

Sam

Re: Remove from startup

Hey!

You should be able to do this by popping into 'Preferences' ('Edit' at the top of your Spotify). It should be down the bottom of the page.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Concert Regular
bluefirepatrick

Except that when you select 'do not open automatically'  it still begins on startup.  I have checked the usual places on Windows for startup items.  THis is annoying- please help.

Concert Regular
bluefirepatrick

I have looked into this a bit more.  In the AppData Roaming directory for Spotify there are two files: setting and spotify.args -these both mention autostart even with the option 'off' in the SettingsPanel (as mentioned above).  Please provide values for these files so that it does not autostart.  I am about to uninstall and cancel. Apps should not take the liberty of autostarting.  I love Spotify but want it to run when I choose to run it.  This is a deal breaker.

Talent Scout
George

Have you checked whether Spotify is set to autostart from msconfig?

Start >> Run >> msconfig.exe

(or in Windows Vista / 7 without a run command, just type "msconfig.exe" into the search box on the start menu, and hit enter when it finds the executable)

Under the start up tab look for an item called spotify, then just untick it. Save those changes and see if that fixes it?

--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!
Concert Regular
bluefirepatrick

Yes, even with Spotify unchecked in Startup items under msconfig the App still starts automatically after restart.  The Startup Items directory is clear too and the Don't open automatically option is selected in Prefs.  This is on Windows 7 SP 1 with your latest version.  

Talent Scout
George

You mentioned the settings file in AppData\Roaming\Spotify...

I've just had a look at mine (which was set to not open automatically), and found no parameter that referenced to automatic starting.

However, after changing my preferences so that spotify should open, and then exitting Spotify (to prompt it to update the settings file), I've found a parameter called: "autorun_type" has been added.

Can you check whether such a parameter exists in your settings file?

--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!
Concert Regular
bluefirepatrick

So with the setting of 'Dont open automatically' it seems to remove that param.  When I set it to 'Open automatically' in the App it sets that param with a value of 1.  'Open auto but minimized' sets it to 2. 'Dont open' then removes the param again.  I tried setting it to 3 by hand and restarting but it still autostarted and the preference was set to' Open auto but minimized' in the prefs. 

Gig Goer
adfsk12

Has anyone found the solution to this? Spotify comes up every time I start up, but even though I've checked the button in preferences that says for it not to.

Music Lover
etsybay

:manmad: uninstalling!

This is too frustrating

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.