Garage Band
mvelinder

Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

[ Edited ]

The "Horrible update [0.8.8]" thread has begun to bury the work arounds for those of us NOT happy with the 0.8.8 update. Here is a guide to reverting to 0.8.5 for Mac. Spotify support has NOT provided a way for us to do this, despite my many attempts.  Hopefully it will help some people who visit the forum.

If you already have upgraded to 0.8.8: (if you haven't upgraded already, start with step #3)

1. Find and download a copy of 0.8.5 here
  2. Mount the image and replace the application in your Applications folder with the downloaded one
  3. Now to make sure Spotify doesn't auto-update:
  4. Go to your ~/Library folder - you can do this in Finder by doing shift+cmd+g and typing "~/Library" without the quotes and hitting enter
  5. Go to Application Support/Spotify
  6. Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  7. Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  8. Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig" - without the quotes, the same file names as the ones you deleted
  9. Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  10. Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window
  11. You should now see a small lock icon on each file
  12. Restart Spotify and enjoy 0.8.5 without auto updates to 0.8.8

Let me know if you have any problems! This has worked for me on OS X 10.8.2. Thanks to th80 for the help on this!

Removed link, not allowed to post links to download packages outside spotify site. hpguru

SPOTIFY REMOVED THE DOWNLOAD LINKS TO PREVIOUS VERSIONS... FURTHER HINDERING PEOPLE'S ABILITY TO USE WORK AROUNDS FOR THE SUPPORT THEY REFUSE TO PROVIDE. ... do some Googling and you should find it - try oldversion.com or oldapps.com

Shameful Spotify...

Music Fan
jeenyice617

Re: Revert to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

holy cow! it works! after being frustrated the past 2 days and having to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the problem is fixed! thnx for the help! 

Music Fan
dan10

Re: Revert back to Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac

Brilliant, thanks a lot.

Peter
Kudos: 11,130
Solutions: 3,103

Thanks for posting this, I am sure a lot of people will be very happy!

For community members on OS X 10.5 only, there is also a support post here about getting Spotify to work. If you are having issues on 10.5, please post in that topic so it is easier to keep track ;) 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Garage Band
elowen

I tried this, and it worked for the older version, but the reinstall option is still at the top of spotify? Is it supposed to be there. Maybe I used a text editor that did not work? I used 'text edit' that comes with mac.

Garage Band
elowen

Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig keep coming back when I reopen spotify, and the ones I added are there also. The one's I made say they are RTF files.

Garage Band
elowen

What file type should I be saving these as? Web Archive?

Garage Band
elowen

Okay so I used the program that you recommended, TextWrangler and it worked. So Mac users, it will not work if you use Text Edit.

Garage Band
mvelinder

Yeah, TextEdit will default to a text encoding (even if you change the extension). TextWrangler is a much better option all around. Glad it worked for you!

Garage Band
mvelinder

[ Edited ]

Also, Spotify finally got back to me about reverting... and they will NOT be supporting any reversions for paying customers. This is an absurd and insulting stance for company to its paying customers. And have essentially told us all "you're out of luck.... good luck on your own!" So it looks like we're stuck with our own work arounds... until they "fix" 0.8.8. Here is the reply:

There's currently no official legacy version of Spotify to use, as the official download from https://www.spotify.com/download/ will automatically get the latest version but if you Google "0.8.5 Spotify" you'll find some links to the older version easy enough.

Note: if you use any of those links, they might not be secure or virus-free so use at your discretion.

Adam Watts

Spotify Customer Services
Cambridge

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.