Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bedroom Songwriter
musicologist09

Re: Slow loading and large CPU usage on Windows 7

I want to make sure these points aren't getting lost in the discussion:

1. the CPU hog is temporary: after a certain amount of time it simply resolves itself back to normal CPU usage

2. something must have changed with the newest version of the spotify client. this has never been a problem before with any previous version

Music Lover
olofkallstrom

I Have the exact same problem with Windows 7 and Spotify Premium. It takes an enormously lot of time and CPU to start up (close to 20-30 mins and CPU 100% and ca 400 MB memory), then just out of the blue it goes back to normal use (5-20 CPU), it seems as if Spotify collide with some other network process (NetSvsc gets high CPU as well). I have tried to reinstall but without getting it to get any better, with the new update (wich btw is a downgrade in using compared to the older version if you like me have a lot of playlists and do a lot of searches) it was even worse regarding loading. Also, every time I do something (move a song to a playlist or star something) Spotify freezes for 10-15 secs, the music can be played fine but everything else freezes.

Is this a problem You've come across often so there might be a easy solution? I'm thankful for any help at all.

Thanks.

Radio Star
AbsolutelyNoFB

[ Edited ]

olofkallstrom wrote:

I Have the exact same problem with Windows 7 and Spotify Premium. It takes an enormously lot of time and CPU to start up (close to 20-30 mins and CPU 100% and ca 400 MB memory), then just out of the blue it goes back to normal use (5-20 CPU), it seems as if Spotify collide with some other network process (NetSvsc gets high CPU as well). I have tried to reinstall but without getting it to get any better, with the new update (wich btw is a downgrade in using compared to the older version if you like me have a lot of playlists and do a lot of searches) it was even worse regarding loading. Also, every time I do something (move a song to a playlist or star something) Spotify freezes for 10-15 secs, the music can be played fine but everything else freezes.

Is this a problem You've come across often so there might be a easy solution? I'm thankful for any help at all.

Thanks.

There are many issues with the new client. I noticed something similar when I was forced into updating to the new client (I am also a Premium customer and I went back to using the old client). You can read about some of the breakages/issues with the new client in the thread "horrible update".

If you want to go back to the old version of the client and stop Spotify from overwriting it, there is some useful information here. This is not a "forever" solution, but it may be a good option to use while Spotify works on fixing the numerous problems with the new client.

Music Lover
olofkallstrom

Thanks! I went back to the old version earlier and that one is working way better than the new one in so many ways. I haven't put in that extra text file yet but I'm thinking of doing it. Though, I still have big problems (not near as big as with the new one though) with long uploading time every time I start up Spotify - with extremely high CPU usage (that problem started when they upgraded the version last time, summer 2012 circa) and long await when I do something (star a song, move one in to a playlist etc). As I said, Spotify seems to collide with some network process (it's not the same every time) but I dont know how to work my way around it. Thanks again for your answer but I still would be very grateful for any suggestion regarding the CPU issue.

Concert Regular
nunuclikna

I have a quad core OSX machine with 16gb ram, a windows 8 machine i5 with 12gb ram and a windows 7 with 12gb of ram and the newest version of spotify jsut doesn't work smoothly.

It takes about 5-10 minutes of starting the program before I can even click on playlists or do any searches of any kind.  Forget about playing music, it'll just freeze.  On my OSX i'll get the spinning beach ball and a "Not Responding" on my windows machines.

There is most definitley a horrible update. 

Opening Act
detmer14

I got the update 2 days ago and I'm seeing this exact issue as well. Except that after many hours, I'm haven't seen my CPU usage go below %75 at all. I opened Spotify and let it "do it's thing" for 3 hours last night without seeing CPU usage go down. It appeared that it was loading my many playlists, so I figured this new update started from a clean slate and it was loading all of my playlists. I don't know why it would be taking so long though.

Then this morning, I've had it open for 1.5 hours with no changes. Still %95 unresponsive and eating up my CPU.

I was finally able to put Spotify in Offline mode on this laptop and that finally stopped Spotify from using the CPU. I then decided to see if it was "downloading" playlists and that this was why it was being a resource hog. I checked all of my playlists on this laptop and NONE of them were set to be available offline. So it shouldn't have been downlading songs. So I'm at a loss as to what it's doing when in Online mode.

I turned Online mode back on and CPU usage immediately shot up to %95 usage and hasn't let down for another half hour. All of my playlists show in the playlists column, so I can't image it's still "loading" them into memory.

I'm hopeing Spotify is listening to their users as they need to fix this resource issue. I don't really want to revert back to a previous version since I liked the idea of a few of the new features. But I may just have to do that in order to listen to any music at all.

Music Lover
dlesage

I have also been seeing this trend after the latest update. 

One change is that I can technically use spotify, but I have narrowed down the lockups/drastically increased CPU usage to occur whenever something new is being loaded online.

What I mean by that is whenever a new song is loaded, a new album page is loaded, a new artist page is loaded, a new ad is loaded, etc. Essentially, anything that uses an internet connection to stream new content to my computer. 

This is quite frustrating as every time a song changes, my computer becomes unusable from anywhere between 5 seconds to 2 minutes. The songs themselves will continue to play, but if I attempt to use any other program (including windows explorer), it will lock up for a period of time. 

Opening Act
detmer14

I found one thing that seems to have cut down on a lot of the cpu usage and unresponsiveness of Spotify. When I start a private session, most of the cpu usage goes down and I can at least use Spotify to some degree. There is still a delay in respoinsiveness after every operation - opening an album, starring a song, adding a song to a playlist, etc. But at least I can play music now and do some operations. I have not tried removing the private session yet.

Concert Regular
jhbh2001spotify

I'll live at the virtual "far edge" of the internet. I have the equivalent of a bad 512 kbps DSL connection... So, to go with my 10K+ iTunes songs and 40K songs on Spotify playlists, I have the cache set for 50GB.

For me, disk space is cheap - bandwidth is dear. Win7, 6 gb RAM, SSD disks. and a decent Core 2 CPU.

First set of comments - about the update that's 10 days old or so - later I'll discuss yesterday's disaster.

mercury.db is apparently a new "feature" of this update. EVERY TIME SPOTIFY STARTS, it apparently re-downloads my entire 110 MB mercury.db file and re-validates the ENTIRE CACHE. Startup for me was a 20 minute+ affair. Accidentally close Spotify? No problem. Just wait 20 minutes. 60% CPU usage while the mercury.db file is redownloaded, rebuilt, and cache verified. After 20 minutes or so, all the "Playlist is loading..." lines disappeared and my computer was usable again.

Every kid in Database 101 in college knows to keep a database consistent without recreating it EVERY TIME.  Why can't Spotify figure it out????

When I saw the new update yesterday, I thought great! They've finally fixed the loading problems.

NO SUCH LUCK!

Now I have NO IDEA how long it takes for the CPU usage to go down - hasn't yet after 10 hours. I have a nightly job that does some video encoding. EVEN hours after Spotify was started, a video encoding job that normally runs at 30 fps, now runs at about 8 fps. So, even after 10 hours, Spotify is still using 75% of my CPU.

I'm sure glad that @KatyCouric is now getting paid by Spotify to host a playlist. That's a MUCH better use of resources than actually making your product work!

The relationship between Spotify and the Facebook business model is readily apparent. Screw you, if you don't like what we're giving you for free, go someplace else! Fix the functionality? Heck no, there's additional non working features to be added to generate more revenue!

EXCEPT YOU'RE NOT GIVING ME THIS FOR FREE - I'M PAYING FOR IT! If Spotify had tried to come up with a business plan that would be ripe for Apple crush Spotify, they couldn't have come up with a better one. Build a market, then deliver a bad product with even worse customer service. SOMEONE will fill that void.

When I first came across Spotify, I was thrilled.  Great content, reasonable price, wide range of devices.  I realized we were in the early phases and that there would be bumps in the road.  The problems will get resolved, I thought!  Bad read on my part.  Spotify continues to pile on more features that don't work WITHOUT fixing the basic usability, reliability and preformance  problems of their product.

The Spotify music catalog is the only "feature" which keeps me here. As soon as someone else with a similiar size catalog comes up with software that works at all reliably, I'm gone.

-JeffH

Concert Regular
markidawales

Exact same problem for me. Takes ages to open. SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Announcements
Happy Halloween

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.