Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert Regular
QuirkBit
Accepted Solution

So where has my library gone?

[ Edited ]

Updated Spotify desktop client yesterday (about says v0.9.8.258) and the 'Library' option has dissappeared and been replaced by a rather useless and blank looking Your Music > Songs / Albums / Artists. Also I cannot star anything, a plus seems to have replaced the star. The Library was my goto screen on spotify as it contained all my local files and playlists....Spotify has rendered itself rather useless for me in 1 update, unless I go and manually create a library playlist which I would then have to manually update each time I added new music.

Please advise how to get the library back or a suitable workaround which provides the same functionality. Also, why the hell were users not notified of this big change?

Peter
Kudos: 12,833
Solutions: 3,504

Re: So where has my library gone?

I would imagine library has been removed as it in my eyes a tab that not a lot of people use. I can see how that will be a big loss for some users though.

The new "Your Music" feature, is meant to be a new way of keeping content organised in Spotify, meaning you can keep a collection of your favorite tracks/albums in a format separate to playlists. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I have found it is actually great and addresses the "playlist only" drawbacks of Spotify in the past.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
QuirkBit

[ Edited ]

To be honest if Spotify automatically organised my library into the new "Your Music" sections I would be happy. As it stands though I would have to click the "+" button next to each track I have stored Locally and in Playlists. I tried selecting multiple items and then clicking the "+" button but this did not work :/

Plus their is no "+" for local files. I'm seriously considering ditching paying for spotify over this, especially as their free offer is now more attractive.

Peter

I think you can highlight a whole playlist by pressing Ctrl+a then drag and drop the tracks onto "Songs" in the sidebar. Does that work?

Peter

Concert Regular
QuirkBit

Sort of...Seems that local files cannot be added to "Your Music" however.

Peter

That is currently true unfortunately, I know that was passed back as feedback to the guys previously but I don't know if it is going to be fixed/changed.

Peter

Band Member
Rollo_

My workaround, I've made a master Library playlist folder, and have moved all of my other folders and playlists into it.  Actually, it cleans up my playlist area nicely, and newly created playlists stay out until I'm ready to organize them.

To be honest, I don't find the "Your Music" section nearly as flexible as the tried-and-true existing Playlists methed, but to each his own.  Until Genre or Tag support is introduced, I don't have much time for Your Music.

I just received the 0.9.8.258 update this morning, no visible changes, likely bug fixes, I'll withold judgement until I've had a chance to play with it.  They may have fixed the CPU problem that's been happening when the Activity Feed is offline.

If this post was helpful, please click the green "+" button below

Read my take on YourMusic HERE.

If you like the Starred list and its ease of use, and would like to see its return, please support by adding Kudos and comments HERE

If you'd like a lean and fast Spotify desktop, without all the default apps slowing things down, please support my idea thread to opt out of them by adding an option to turn them off and on in Preferences. Staff has shown interest in this idea. Click the "Kudos" button and add your comments   HERE

Concert Regular
QuirkBit

Thanks for that. That solves my problem. I think "Your Music" seems a bit pointless if you can't include local files however.

Spotify
Spotify
mpj

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, great to hear from existing Library users. Your Music is hot from the oven,  and it's to get feedback like this that we have the community forums. I'll make sure that we'll talk about this thread at the next planning meeting.

In the mean time, as has already been alluded to in the thread, a dirty workaround is to keep all your playlists in a folder and click the folder to list all tracks in the playlists of the folder.

Peter

There is also another feedback topic about starred being missing @mpj :

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/What-happened-to-the-stars/m-p/709237/hig...

Peter

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.