Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Peter
Kudos: 11,644
Solutions: 3,224

Re: Songs are not playing after Windows 8.1. Update

Spotify are currently investigating a playback issue which seems to be cross-platform so stay tuned for updates. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Fan
Rzeki

I fixed this problem on a client computer by upgrading the Conexant Smart Audio HD driver to the specific windows 8.1 version. This also corrects the Windows 8.1 Dolby driver issue. Search for the driver on your computer manufacturer's webside. In this instance it was for a lenovo u310. Good luck, Spotifiers!

Music Fan
guampudo

I had this same problem after upgrading to Windows 8.1. The sound control panel method did not work for me. Once I uninstalled and reinstalled it worked.

Music Fan
skotty1962

I have same problem. Just to add my voice to the thread.

Windows 8.1 upgrade broke Spotify.

Have tried every solution offered by this thread.

1. Other sounds work fine. Games, YouTube, GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC, etc.
  2. However, have noted that there is no sound when playing game previews video in Steam app, if theres a clue.
  3. I have a Windows 7 Virtual Machine running on same box. Installed Spotify on this VM and it works fine.
  4. Using a Sound Blaster Audigy card. (A bit old, but it was working with Windows 8.0)

Will be cancelling my subscription if this isnt resolved. Not paying for a service if I dont get "the service".

Google Play Music is just fine, and works.

Music Fan
eschirle

After my windows 8.1 update, I had the same issue of songs not playing... 

I went to my control panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound and received an error message about audio driver enhancements causing problems.  I disabled those enhancements but spotify still wouldn't play.  

Then I went back to spotify and pressed Ctrl+Alt+Home and THEN spotify began playing again.  

Then I went to lenovo's support website and updated my audio driver (windows 8.1 64-bit) and the problem came back.  

Now there is no error message when I go to the control panel and I can't figure out how to fix the problem.

Music Fan
gibbs

I had the same problem!! Every single thing failed and even installing and reinstalling twice failed. I went into all the sound stuff and was about to go to lenovo's website (using lenovo yoga 13) and then i tried the Ctrl+Alt+Home and then it worked!! idk what the hell that command does but apparently it fixed it.. idk how at all and i don't understand it but i love it.

thank you so much!!!! now to see if this fixes the other sound problems on windows 8.1 -__-

Concert VIP
Broske

I have a problem similar to yours'. After 2-3 hours, the song appears to be paused. The time shows. I also run Windows 8.1. Is this a bug? 

Peter

Broske wrote:

I have a problem similar to yours'. After 2-3 hours, the song appears to be paused. The time shows. I also run Windows 8.1. Is this a bug? 

Does it always happen on a particular track or a type of track such as a local file @Broske ?

Peter

Concert VIP
Broske

It happens anytime I'm using Spotify. If I'm using Soundrop or Radio, it still will stop after 2-3 hours. I tried downgrading to regular Windows 8, but that doesn't look like that'll work. I also have Unlimited. Did Spotify manage to install a time limit?

Peter

Not that I am aware of. 

Can you try opening the Spotify console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Home whilst selected on the Spotify window and see if any error messages are being logged when playback stops? 

Peter

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.