Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
dtechno

Re: Spotify P2P Uploads killing my internet

An preference in spotify  to disable/limit uploading would be very usefull to users with a legitimate reason to disable the behavior. I don't think it'll inpact the network quality, since most users won't bother to change it except when they have a good reason.

Concert Regular
agoandanon

[ Edited ]

This is unacceptable. I subscribed to a Spotify premium account in order to actually give the artists I listen to money when I listen to music, rather than listening via the semi-legal Grooveshark.

Unless someone ACTUALLY FROM THE SPOTIFY TEAM responds to this, I am going to be unsubscribing from Spotify. Because screw this, I didn't sign up to let you use my upload bandwidth, and I didn't sign up to let Spotify eat my hard drive space.

Edit: I just unsubbed. I'll resub if there's an actual response to this. Sorry guys, I'm not going to be listening to your ads or giving you my money.

Sam

agoandanon - I'm sorry you feel this way. As David and I both mention on the previous page, you can limit the amount of data stored on your computer. This is in the 'Preferences' page in your Spotify. With this limited, you'll only be streaming tracks, as opposed to acting as a p2p server.

As I mentioned before, this is entirely for the benefit of the service you guys receive. It allows the super-quick loading times and the functions like gapless playback. It's an insanely clever system.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Concert Regular
agoandanon

Except that, as David acknowledged, it's not possible to set the "cache space" down to 0 GB. The minimum is 1 GB. And I don't care how clever it is if it's messing up my ping. Do you guys even consider users who have severely-limited upload speeds, or corporate users who are not allowed to use P2P applications at work? Seriously, I was in violatiaon of my workplace's policy and didn't even know it, in addition to this application messing up my ping.

It's a clever system for saving costs for Spotify, but it ignores some users' concerns. Basically, all I want is to be able to choose not to act as a P2P server, when I am paying Spotify $10 per month. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Peter
Kudos: 12,329
Solutions: 3,376
I'm a Community Rock Star

agoandanon wrote:

Except that, as David acknowledged, it's not possible to set the "cache space" down to 0 GB. The minimum is 1 GB. And I don't care how clever it is if it's messing up my ping. Do you guys even consider users who have severely-limited upload speeds, or corporate users who are not allowed to use P2P applications at work? Seriously, I was in violatiaon of my workplace's policy and didn't even know it, in addition to this application messing up my ping.

It's a clever system for saving costs for Spotify, but it ignores some users' concerns. Basically, all I want is to be able to choose not to act as a P2P server, when I am paying Spotify $10 per month. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

As a work around, you might be able to get access and use the Web Player (see this topic for access) which does not use p2p technology. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
agoandanon

I guess that's a workaround. I'm not happy with it, and I'm not going to resubscribe my premium account. I'll probably just re-up my Grooveshark account, since there's a wider variety of music on Grooveshark anyway.

Festival VIP
ic1101

Hi hammeh, orginal OP here.

Still a spotify customer, but not happy but no response from the team about this and no plans to add the option in.

Work arounds are not acceptable when people are paying good money, that is my opinion on the matter. As you know, many people in the world have throttled upload speeds, and many ISPs shape p2p traffic.

Not only that, but I'm sure p2p (as i know it) isn't very privacy secure, regarding your IP, hostname etc. I'm sure many skype users can attest to this about p2p.

You can still provide the services you do using direct traffic, I'm sure :). If not, why not integrate your own socks5 proxy to mask peoples IP by default?

Lastly, many p2p clients for things like torrents allow you to set a max upload speed, if spotify add this, it would fix many complaints about saturating upload speeds, I'm sure the option would only be used by the people who cannot afford to give their upload speed to spotify.

I never bothered continuing with this topic as I have used my own work arounds to block spotify client from uploading, I tunnel through a VPN for one, which transparently blocks many inbound connections. I also have ESET Firewall blocking inbounc connections to spotify. For me, this fixed the issue and I use spotify with no issues now, with no uploading.

Where there is a will, there is a way and I don't like how spotify goes about this, but I can **bleep** slap the programs face and tell it what it can/cannot do on my system with a bit of knowledge, but in future I suggest you implement this into spotify yourselves.

Thank you.

Concert Regular
agoandanon

I agree that this should be in Spotify itself. They have lost at least one customer over it.

Garage Band
rdngmikey

First off I would like to point out that there will be NO response from Spotify on this matter, this is a community forum and that's it. Spotify developers do not communicate via thse forums, so yelling and threatening doesn't really do that much good here, you might as well be shouting into the wind. That said, I have 40mb download and 3mb upload speeds with a 100gb cache size, leach off of me all you want. Enjoy.

Dell XPS Duel core laptop, 4 gb ram, windows vista, winamp
Samsung Galaxy s3
Ipod 32gb 5th generation
Concert Regular
agoandanon

OK, then how should I contact actual people who work for Spotify? I did a decent amount of searching and couldn't find anything. I even posted on Twitter referring to their twitter name, just in case that would work.

The point here is that, aside from development costs, the P2P setup of Spotify should cost very, very little to run. I'm not really gaining anything from that as far as I can see, over such services as Grooveshark.

tl;dr: How do I actually contact someone in the company?

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.