Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Garage Band
gfahey
Accepted Solution

Spotify Won't play local files!

OK, it's getting to the point where I am about to cancel my account. 

I add files to Spotify (I have the folder selected as a source in preferences) and when I go to play it, I get the;

"This track was added as a local file. If you have the file on your computer, you can import it."

Local file source is checked. I us mostly mp4 files which have always played fine. Also, this problem has only surcaed recently and Spotify will play the other files I have added previously. Seems the files I have added the past 2 weeks won't play. The "greyed out" files won't play recently but, the "bold" ones do. 

I have tried everything.  Mac OSX 10.7.3

Concert Regular
Munq

Re: Spotify Won't play local files!

I am having this problem as well, except tracks which I have on my computer and which I have listened to for months have become unavailable in the past few weeks.  I'll select a track and it will say "Error file not found" but when I right click and reveal in finder the track is sitting right where I left it.  They play just fine in other platforms.

Garage Band
gfahey

Looks like Spotify doesn't care about my business. At least give me a reply. 

I pay for 2 Premium accounts (family member) and I am going to have to reconsider whether to pay for them now. I value customer service and Spotify seems to ignore a lot of the issues here people have brought up. I'm not some whiny guy either. I can deal with issues here and there but, to me, this is a biggie. If Spotify thinks it isn't to them then I'll cancel. 

There are a lot of folks with this same issue. My daughter (that I pay for) has it as well. 

Come on Spotify, show us you at least heard me and care about me as a customer as well as Mung.

You silence is telling.

Music Lover
coconuthalf

I came here looking for an answer because I was also having problems playing my local files. You may not have the same problem as me, but I realized the files that weren't playing were in m4a format. I found in another thread the suggestion that though Spotify claims to support this format, it won't play it without Quicktime installed. I had iTunes installed, which played these files just fine, but they didn't play in Spotify until I also installed Quicktime. I hope this helps someone.

Concert Regular
MargotDarko

I am having the same problem as well. Downloading Quicktime did not work for me. Another solution mentioned is to delete the files from your local files playlist. That worked for me at first, but the files returned to the local playlist once I closed and reopened Spotify on my desktop.

Here is what seems to be working for me now - Delete the songs that won't play from the Spotify local files list. Under Spotify preferences, I have it set to only find local music in iTunes. Then whatever album isn't playing, I go into the iTunes folder on Finder and move it to another folder outside of iTunes. That way it doesn't reload to the Spotify local files list but is still saved on my computer.

Thankfully all the songs that aren't playing for me are available on Spotify. Not sure what the solution would be to listen to local files with the Spotify app that weren't available on Spotify as well.

Music Fan
csteele31694

Spotify cannot play AAC files. Not sure of other 'unplayable' formats.

Music Fan
_mynameisdrew

Your right! Install quicktime and they play fine.

Garage Band
gfahey

I have a Mac. 

Mac OSX 10.7.4 has Quicktime installed. You try and install it manually and you cannot. 

Someone explain to me how to "install Quicktime" on OSX 10.7.4 and provide a link and instructions as to how to do it. 

Does anyone at Spotify actually know how to do this? 

3 months now. No answer from Spotify and if they give one, it's vague. Very disappointed that I can't play most of my music. 

Music Fan
redtbone

If u right click the fie that wont play and select unlink track it sould fix the problem. 

Garage Band
gfahey

This is on a Mac. You know that right?

Right clicking on it gives no such option. Spotify could care less about this, that's becoming quite clear to me. 

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.