Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Festival VIP
ThomWim
Accepted Solution

Spotify could not be started (error 17)

For the past week, I've been un-installing and re-installing Spotify like crazy so I could access new music. This also leads to a problem saying that it "cannot initialize the storage of temporary files".

Festival VIP
ThomWim

Re: Spotify could not be started (error 17)

Any solutions?

Music Lover
trexer1990

I've been reading some solutions in the forum, and we have different options to solve this problem... Hope they work with your issue "Code error 17"

1. In windows, you should try to execute the application with the compability tab checked (Right click in the Spotify Icon, properties, compatibility with Windows XP ).

2. (It worked with me), after any update or after unistall Spotify and to run a new Install it stay stacked, so just execute the Windows Registry (Type regedit in the text field that appears in the Start Menu in Windows 7/Vista), then just go to Edit, and Search... and then delete all the keys you can find with the word Spotify (be careful to don't delete any other that don't say exactly that) and then you also should try to delete the folder "Spotify" created under the user folder in this route C:\Users\CHANGETHISFORTHEUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming.

And it's done... 

Hope it work for you.

Festival VIP
ThomWim

It still doesn't work.
Festival VIP
ThomWim

And I still can't install Spotify.

Gig Goer
kuesschen

hi

i tried your solution. but is didn´t work. and i don´t have a sportify icon to click on.... i had sportify ones in another country but deinstalled it. and now cannot install it again.

Music Fan
Alfawolf

I have found a sollusion to the reinstall problem (at least for me)

Right-click on the installer file you have downloaded.

select properties

then unluck the firewall 

the installer was blocked y firewall because its was downloaded from other pc and firewall blockt this.

Music Fan
WhoaMB

It worked for me! :-) I've been trying to reinstall Spotify for ages, so thank you very much! 

Music Fan
soreide

hi.

would you be so kind as to enlighten me..? what do you mean when you say 'execute the app. with the compability tab checked'?

i'm 34. in this setting, i feel like i'm 84 or thereabouts... i'm horrible at computers. if it doesn't work, i don't have the slightest idea how to fix it...

a simple recipe in layman's terms, please...?

regards, j.b. larsen - otherwise a perfectly intelligent man.

Peter
Kudos: 12,472
Solutions: 3,427
I'm a Community Rock Star

soreide wrote:

hi.

would you be so kind as to enlighten me..? what do you mean when you say 'execute the app. with the compability tab checked'?

i'm 34. in this setting, i feel like i'm 84 or thereabouts... i'm horrible at computers. if it doesn't work, i don't have the slightest idea how to fix it...

a simple recipe in layman's terms, please...?

regards, j.b. larsen - otherwise a perfectly intelligent man.

If you are having issues installing Spotify, try downloading and using the full installer package from this link.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.