Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert Regular
braddunc

Re: Spotify does not work on Windows 8 And they are not going to fix it.

[ Edited ]

Community Manager
Community Manager
Per
For your Spotifyes only
Name:
Department:
About me:

I just upgraded my work machine to Windows 8 Pro. I have no issues running, closing, re-opening Spotify. This just to say that it seems Spotify works fine on Windows 8.

My spotify client did just upgrade to the latest version.

So, if you are still having issues on Windows 8 we're going to need some info:

Which Windows 8 version are you on?

What version is your Spotify client?

Provide detailed steps what exactly you do when you get this error. I.e. how long do you have Spotify closed before trying to reopne it again? Etc.

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Music Lover
PeterVanAkelyen

I've been running Spotify on Windows 8 x64 for a while without any issues. After it tried to upgrade to the latest version, it's crashing constantly. I can't even reinstall it, during the installation it says the files are in use. Trying to quit Spotify through the Task Manager only says 'Access denied'. 

neo-x
Kudos: 1,995
Solutions: 70

I'd say try rebooting the system and then uninstall & reinstall from a full installer.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Music Lover
PeterVanAkelyen

Just tried that. It works, but after searching a song (without even playing it), searching for another song keeps spinning the wheel. Closing Spotify doesn't work, the process is still active in Task Manager and cannot be killed without a reboot.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Per
For your Spotifyes only
Name:
Department:
About me:

PeterVanAkelyen wrote:

Just tried that. It works, but after searching a song (without even playing it), searching for another song keeps spinning the wheel. Closing Spotify doesn't work, the process is still active in Task Manager and cannot be killed without a reboot.

OK. If you'd like me to submit a bug report, please follow the troubleshooting steps and start a new topic which outlines your specifics.

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Music Fan
kannsdassein

I've also been using Windows 8 RTM since early August and Spotify has since worked like a charm for me .... till today when the lastest update got pushed out!

I can start the client. I can even start playing a song, but it would stop somewhere in the middle and by stop I mean it literally just freezes and I can't restart Spotify for the same reasons given above!

As I said above, everything was working perfectly till the update today. Hope you guys fix this immediately!

Gig Goer
Demongp

Its as official as it needs to be.  There is NOTHING in the code that is different from the one that was released on Friday.  This is a copout excuse from people that do not understand how Windows releases works.

Bedroom Songwriter
Aerandir92

[ Edited ]

If you want really detailed steps about Spotify on Windows 8 problem, read this thread

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Application-stops-responding-on-Windows-8-RTM/td-p/1...

Please read the WHOLE thread. There are a lot of information about he problem there.

jao
Garage Band
jao

[ Edited ]

I removed Spotify a couple of times and deleted the spotify folders under app_data/local and app_data/roaming. The last time I reinstalled I still got the error '18 could not start spotify' but I was able to launch it manually from AppData\Roaming\Spotify and it has been running for over 4 hours now without a problem.

I also set the compatibility mode of both spotify.exe and spotifylauncher.exe to Windows 7 and I checked the Run this program as an administrator box for both files. (I did this before but then it didn't help)

spotify.exe.png

So I hope it won't break, but for now this problem seems solved. I hope this helps anyone else having the same problem (spotify hangs after a couple of seconds)

I can even close Spotify and restart it without telling me that it 'is already running, please close Spotify first'. BTW, the version i'm running now is 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.