Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

Solved!

Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

I keep getting this "already running" message when I try to open spotify.  It is listed as a process in Windows Task Manager, but it won't close when I try to force end the process.  I've been having this same issue many times over the past month.

Any ideas how to actually end the process, or better yet, keep it from doing this altogether?

141 Replies

In windows 8 you can choose "Refresh your PC".

Just search for refresh and you will see the option under settings.

Spotify works again now :- )

Just adding a bit of research

I tried to just start Spotify today and then set a playlist to be available offline. Only thing I did

It finished downloading 2 songs, took 1 minute tops, then on the third song, it froze.

So this is not just an issue while playing songs

And also

After beeing able to download a few songs I tried to set Spotify as offline

Freezes instantly after going offline (tried several times)

I am also experiencing this problem.  I keep having to reboot my machine each time Spotify freezes up because I can;t find anyway to kill the process (Task Manager doesn't kill it).  I have Windows 7 64 bit.  I am on the one-month-free Premium at the moment and was very impressed with Spotify untill this started happening.

I have just uninstalled Spotify, restarted my computer and then reinstalled Spotify from a fresh download.  This seems to have fixed the problem. 🙂

Lucky man, I have done that many many times

I have a similar problem. 
Almost everytime i set my computer to hibernate and later start it again, spotify wont work. As soon as i try to play a song (spotify is still open at that point), it just freezes. So i close it, but i can't restart it, because its still active, and i can't kill it in task manager.

I am running windows 7 64-bit, and there is still no solution to this. So this question is NOT SOLVED. 

I am currently on the 30-day-trial (mind you, before i had premium, i didn't had this problem), and everything was fine until now. If there is no solution to this, i gonna have to cancel my premium account. 

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.  I have had this issue ever since I've started spotify over a year ago.  Its VERY Frustrating.  thinking of cancelling my subscription because of it.

Come on Spotify, get your sh!t together. I can't even force quit the application! I'm forced to re-start my computer once Spotify crashes, which is VERY INCONVIENENT because I usually have 30 windows open with un-finished code in them.

It's wasy to say "Just restart your computer and the problem will be fixed", but go ask your developers to re-start their computers in the middle of their work-day, and tell me how many moans and groans you get from them.

I have the same problem  on an old Tosh Laptop running WinXP 32bit. Only recently appeared on this computer-cannot find a solution--another Laptop I run-- 64bit Win7--no problems whatever

Hi,

I have the same issue.

Spotify hungs after 15-20 minutes of playing music, even if I don't play anything.

My Operating System is Windows 8 Pro x64.

I'm paying a Premium Subscription and this is unacceptable. Since I have updated my SO I cannot use my 10$/month app.

Windows 8 was in a Preview/Beta Status since May 2012 and 6 month dev cycle is enough to have a solution for that.

Please,  fix this as soon as possible or I will be force to delete my subscription.

Sincerely,

Why the Hell has Spotify not acknowledged this bug yet??!? 

Its just started happening to me today. 64bit Win 7 Ultimate. It was fine yesterday. No update has taken place. 20 seconds into a song and I get this. the program will close after a while, but the process is still listed under Task Manager and cannot be closed. The only resolution is to Restart. 

I thought I had solved this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling spotify, but it's started doing it again... 😞  Very frustrating.

Well this doesn't solve the problem, but I avoid this by closing spotify always before I hibernate.

I have this problem as well. Spotify suddenly started crashing on Win8 Pro (read: started). And it even worked without setting compatability options...

I have same problem here.  I was listening to music for 20 sec, and it stopped 😕

I have Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.  I tried uninstalling them, trashed Temp Files (in \AppData both from Local and Roaming), and tried installing them again.  It still crashes.  

@twiload wrote:

I have same problem here.  I was listening to music for 20 sec, and it stopped 😕

I have Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.  I tried uninstalling them, trashed Temp Files (in \AppData both from Local and Roaming), and tried installing them again.  It still crashes.  

If you are having issues with Spotify on Windows 8, then I would suggest you have a read at this topic.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Okay, it worked for me, thanks to hammeh's advice.  My problem was the Internet Conenction Sharing, which I enabled to open Ad Hoc connection.  Just for the reference, here's a quick samamry of what what I did for Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.  

1. Disable Internet Connection Sharing from Control Pannel ->  Network ->  Change Adapter Setting ->  WiFi -> Sharing -> uncheck Internet Conenction Sharing
  2. Uninstall Spotify
  3. Delete temp files from C:\User\<USERNAME>\AppData\  Spotify's file is in both Local and Roaming, so delete that.  (When it say it's used, try restarting computer then delete it)
  4. Get fresh copy of Spotify from the website.
  5. Install it
  6. Done 🙂  

Hope that helps.  

Yup, this did the trick

Windows 8 64-bit

Thanks man

Running Windows 7 and having the same problem, the only solution is to reboot!

Suggested posts