We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.Learn more here

Close
Concert Regular
bendman
Accepted Solution

Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

I keep getting this "already running" message when I try to open spotify.  It is listed as a process in Windows Task Manager, but it won't close when I try to force end the process.  I've been having this same issue many times over the past month.

Any ideas how to actually end the process, or better yet, keep it from doing this altogether?

Talent Scout
George

Re: Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

You could try ending the whole process tree? That sometimes forces processes to close when the normal "end process" function doesn't work. But failing that wouldn't a reboot stop it executing or does it automatically open when you log on?

--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!
Concert Regular
bendman

Re: Spotify is already running, but not responding. Please close it and try again.

Ending the process tree doesn't work.  Rebooting works, but it happens almost every time I use spotify, and I'd rather not be stuck rebooting all the time.  I'm really surprised this problem isn't really common - I wonder if it's a conflict with specific software or something.

Gig Goer
popfresh

I'm having the exact same problem! Haven't found the solution yet. I recommend we all contact Spotify support in hopes of getting an answer, since my post on these boards didn't help. 

https://www.spotify.com/us/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact

Concert Regular
bendman

Yeah, I'm gonna contact them.  This is ridiculous, especially since I'm paying.  I'm paying so I can listen on my phone while I run, but I just assumed being able to use it reliably on the desktop was a given.  I can only use it for a few minutes before it crashes and starts doing this, and I need to restart my computer - making it basically unusable.

Music Lover
thejoshtiffany

Just to add to the record, this problem is happening to me too!

Music Fan
Markiiieeee

Having the same problem. Receiving horrible support.

Bye bye spotify.

Music Fan
padawane

I have the same problem since 2 week. Could it be an update the problem??
After a few songs in the middle of one, it stop. I try to change song or pause but it seems freeze. When i try to close it I have to wait a few minutes, and when it finally disapear from desktop & task bar, it continue existing on system process list and i cant start a new instance of the spotify. I cant kill it with system tools, and the only way to start is reboot the system. But a few minutes later it come to block again...

Intel core i3 2,4Ghz  4GB RAM

Windows7 SP1 (64bits)

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge

Music Fan
melelim

Same problem for me. Crashes while playing, and cann't end process OR process tree. Already rebooted once, not going to do it again. I guess i'm switching from spotify to something else.

Running Dell laptop, Win 7. don't think this is hardware issue, should be software/API or driver related.

Concert Regular
bendman

I haven't had this issue in a while.  One thing I started doing is closing the program using the File > Exit menu option rather than what I used to do (right click on icon in taskbar > Quit Spotify).

It's also possible that some update to my computer changed the way processes are handled of course, but it seemed to stop right when I started using the menu to exit.

Announcements
Win free Premium
This contest is now closed. The winners will be posted here very soon.

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.