Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
Elitemcflury

Spotify keeps freezing!

[ Edited ]

After one song my spotify keeps freezing causing me to do a force close or shut it down from my task manager... It's very frustrating when I want to listen to my music. Please can someone help me with this problem. I NEED MY MUSIC. :(

Note: I have tried reinstalling the client and turning off 'Enable Hardware Acceleration." None of these have helped me.

Spotify
David

Re: Spotify keeps freezing!

Hello.

Couple of other things you might want to try-

First of all, a reinstallation of Flash.

1. Uninstall Spotify and remove all Spotify folders.
2. Complete uninstall of Flash (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html). In order to uninstall Flash you need to ensure it's not currently being used (basically have no programs running at all).
3. Restart your computer and install Flash again, from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
4. Download and install the latest version of Spotify: https://www.spotify.com/download/

Secondly, do you run any firewalls or anti-virus programs on your computer at all? If so, you might want to try adding Spotify to the exceptions list - This might stop it from freezing. 

Also, try turning off both Gapless Playback and Crossfade tracks. 

-----
Spotify
Music Fan
tnelson

I seem to be having the same problem.  It seems to have started after the latest windows update a couple of days ago, and it is really annoying to have to force close spotify after every song.

Music Lover
QS10

I had exactly the same problem, I think I sorted mine out by turning off  'Show what I'm listening to on facebook' for a while then put it back on. Working fine now, maybe a slight synchronization glitch with facebook causing it to crash? I dunno, but its working :)

Concert Regular
snow-tex

[ Edited ]

I've had the same problem on my laptop and on my desktop at work, but I've never had a problem on my home computer with it.  My home computer runs Windows Vista, my two work computers run windows 7 64 bit.  The song just stops in the middle randomly and goes into a type sound loop.

It freezes the whole computer if you try to touch it, so I just decided to leave it and see what happened, and after a while it started playing again like nothing happened.  It does it completely randomly, short 3-4 min and longer ones over 5 min, it doesn't seem to discriminate...I've tried the fixes I've seen in other threads including uninstalling flash, spotify and then re-installing both. Also added spotify as an exception on my firewall and antivirus. I've disabled crossfade tracts and enable hardware acceleration under preferences and still have the same issue.

I have the same random problem with pandora, so it leads me to believe its a memory issue, but on both computers?  Kind of weird.  Anymore ideas?

Peter
Kudos: 12,751
Solutions: 3,486

I have seen behaviour like this before on one of my old systems. 

Next time this happens, can you note if the hard drive light is constantly on? I'm not sure what causes it, but sometimes on this system the hard drive activity would shoot up to 100% and freeze everything.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Fan
stvnwk11

Hi I have been using spotify for a while and never had a single problem with the program until now.

It started when i clicked a song and it froze. so I closed it and tried to reopen it but it said spotify is already running.

so I went to taks manager and tried to end task but nothing.  So I restarted the computer, same exact thing. So then I looked up this page and unistalled flash and spotify and deleted all folders and ran ccleaner. Then I restarted again and opened spotify and clicked on the song I wanted and it played half way through this time the froze and could not be closed or reopened. Then I recalled back to the days of pirating music when things were much simpler

Just letting somebody know hoping some one smart can fix it cuz I can't. 

Thanks

Festival VIP
paulmp

Mine has been doing all day today as well.. it's a brand new system with a very clean install.. was working fine the last couple of days.. it's like spotify aren't getting enough bandwidth!

Music Lover
QS10

[ Edited ]

Possible solution guys just try what I done. Don't know if this setting is on for you but worth a try.

Turn 'show what I am listening to on Facebook' OFF. Close spotify and then restart.
Also try running it in Administrator Mode. 

If it works leave it off for a while and then turn it back on if you really want it. Hope this helps.

Festival VIP
paulmp

I've always had that turned off.. I don't really want to constantly post stuff to facebook like that.

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.