Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops when switching to another application on Windows 7

Solved!

Spotify stops when switching to another application on Windows 7

In the last week, I have discovered that Spotify will stop playing if I switch focus from Spotify to another application. It is happening persistently and only started very recently. I have noticed it only on my desktop (Windows 7 Home) - it works fine on my iPad and iPhone. It appears to have started after a recent set of Windows Updates were applied but I do not wish to uninstall the updates at this point - I'd rather Spotify fix the issue. I am only listing the Microsoft Windows updates below (the MS Office and others are too numerous and, IMO, irrelevant):

KB2876351

KB2872339

KB2870699

KB2868116

KB2859352

KB2836943

The only way for me to get it started again is to shut down the application and restart it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As an update, Spotify has put out two new updates in the last two weeks to its desktop application. The first one did not resolve the issue but the second one (installed today) appears to have fixed it. I still do not know what caused the issue at this point but at least it is working. If someone can Spotify can elaborate as to the cause, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @user-removed 🙂 

I know its annoying but would you be able to try a clean reinstallation of the application and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It wouldn't be the first time a MS updqte broke another vendor's software.

@user-removed wrote:

In the last week, I have discovered that Spotify will stop playing if I switch focus from Spotify to another application. It is happening persistently and only started very recently. I have noticed it only on my desktop (Windows 7 Home) - it works fine on my iPad and iPhone. It appears to have started after a recent set of Windows Updates were applied but I do not wish to uninstall the updates at this point - I'd rather Spotify fix the issue. I am only listing the Microsoft Windows updates below (the MS Office and others are too numerous and, IMO, irrelevant):

KB2876351

KB2872339

KB2870699

KB2868116

KB2859352

KB2836943

The only way for me to get it started again is to shut down the application and restart it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the current version (just to perform a complete "clean" install). Same basic problem. To be more specific, further testing is showing that it plays for a few minutes (anywhere for 3-8 minutes) and then just stops. I will note that this appears to be happening only on the desktop version in Windows 7. I am not experiencing the issue on the iPad (though that is not the preferred device when at home).

I am finding this very aggravating, particularly given that I have a subscription to a service that is not working as it should. While I believe the issue started after the latest Windows update, I am not 100% certain. Regardless, my expectations are that it will be resolved and quickly by Spotify. Else, I will feel compelled to seek out another service for streaming my music - as much hassle as I know that will be.

And, for the record, as a former developer myself, I know what it's like to be blind-sided by Windows updates but I also know that there should be a more open response by vendors such as Spotify to resolve issues when they arise. The lack of open communication on the issue is as disturbing as the issue itself.

Thanks.

Marked as solution

As an update, Spotify has put out two new updates in the last two weeks to its desktop application. The first one did not resolve the issue but the second one (installed today) appears to have fixed it. I still do not know what caused the issue at this point but at least it is working. If someone can Spotify can elaborate as to the cause, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am on OSX (El Capitan) and this is still a problem. Usually restarting spotify solves the problem...so it seems to maybe be somthing with putting computer to sleep without closing spotify or changing network in between.

I use my mac at work playing spotify all day. Then I bring the Mac home and while I am on it I do not play spotify before the next day back at work. Spotify is open the whole time.

Suggested posts