Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Festival Fanatic
EdCote
Accepted Solution

Spotify won't play certain songs

I have Spotify on a desktop Dell PC running Windows 7. I have noticed that Spotify won't play certain songs. And no, I don't mean the ones that are greyed out. When it is playing and it comes to one of these songs, it doesn't skip over them like it does something that just isn't available. It just stops playing. I go to take a look, and it identifies that track as what it's currently playing, and the play/pause button is on "pause", as if it were playing, but the progress bar in the bottom middle isn't moving (in fact the marker is missing entirely) and the timer just says "0:00" on the left and the length of the song on the right.

Some artists are worse about this than others. For Norah Jones, for example, there must be ten songs that do this. "Seven Years" from her first album is one. There are a few on Dream Theater too.

So why is it doing this, and how do I get those songs to play?

Peter
Kudos: 12,858
Solutions: 3,511

Re: Spotify won't play certain songs

Hey :) 

Do you have those tracks storred locally on your computer? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Festival Fanatic
EdCote

I have most of them in Windows Media Player. I imported them from a thumb drive or Dropbox or somewhere, I forget exactly where. But I think there are at least a couple such tracks that aren't on my computer and I have When the Pawn by Fiona Apple in Windows Media Player and that plays just fine in Spotify.

Peter

Can you try installing Apple Quicktime and see if that helps? Many people say it installs the missing codecs. 

Peter

Peter

Festival Fanatic
EdCote

Yes, somehow that worked. Thanks much.

Music Lover
aplumb-larrick

For some reason I cannot get Spotify to play Tell 'Em by Sleigh Bells. It will play the rest of the album. I do not have it stored locally.

Garage Band
Searingdark

I'm also having this problem I was looking up some Skillet songs tonight and noticed some of theirs wont even play at all does exactly like the OP says it says its playing but nothing.

Garage Band
Searingdark

I just did the quick time install. Everything is working now :D Its kinda strange though I installed Itunes you think that would have installed quicktime.

Music Fan
rhanrahan8892

I have this same problem except it is on my iPhone, anyone know any solutions I could try????
Peter

rhanrahan8892 wrote:
I have this same problem except it is on my iPhone, anyone know any solutions I could try????

Are you getting any error messages at all? 

Peter

Peter

Announcements

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.