Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
glacios

Spotify won't start

[ Edited ]

Hello,

recently i got a problem with spotify. i'm running windows 8 but spotify works great for months. i dont know what happened but since a few days i can't start spotify. if i run it, the windows loading mouse-icon shows up for a bunch of seconds but the program does not appear. no login-screen, no menu, no interface, nothing. just as i didn't start it.

strange thing ist that the spotify process is shwon in the taskmanager!? i tried to reinstall spotify several times and everytime it works till i reboot the computer. then same thing again. that freaks me out a bit. i even tried different compatibility modes from win xp to win 7. nothing changes. can you help me?

Peter
Kudos: 12,387
Solutions: 3,398
I'm a Community Rock Star

Re: Spotify won't start

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

I would suggest you have a read at all the fixes and work arounds for Windows 8 in this topic.

Mainly, do you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled, if so it seems to cause issues with Spotify. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Lover
glacios

Nope. Still doesn't work.

ICS was never enabled cause i don't need it in my network.

Concert VIP
cerberus

got the exact same problem and tried the stuff in the w8 topic, with no success

(copy from other win 8 topic)

if idownload spotify and reinstall it, so that it isnt updated it can run, but only till i press update or close it, at which point i can't start it again.

if i check task manager, it shows that spotify is running as a background process, that is taking 25% of my cpu

Gig Goer
cmenke1983

I'm having the same problem. With windows 8 64 Bit and a triple screen setup (Eyefinity on and off). I suspect it starts properly, but the window goes to coordinates that aren't visible. I tried moving it using ALT-SPACE-V but no luck because its not a normal window.

This started only 3 weeks or so ago. I had it running fine on Windows 8 before.

I do not use ICS.

Music Lover
rorymacleod

I had the same problem on Windows 7 x64 - Spotify would close as soon as I started it without showing any UI. Each time, the Windows Event Log contained an entry like this:

Faulting application name: spotify.exe, version: 0.8.8.347, time stamp: 0x511c5a9e
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x00010011
Faulting process id: 0xee0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce11057d7d70c0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Spotify\spotify.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: bbef32ec-7cf8-11e2-8664-005056c00008

I found that uninstalling and reinstalling got me past the problem.

Gig Goer
cmenke1983

The uninstallier doesn't launch either -- in fact, Spotify itself seems to be the uninstaller.

Music Lover
rorymacleod

[ Edited ]

Are you uninstalling from the "Add/Remove Programs" window? It was Windows Installer that appeared when I did it.

You're right. I had an old version installed (0.5.x) and it seemed to remove the newer (0.8.8) version along with it. On another machine that only had the latest version installed, I wasn't able to uninstall at all. Instead, I found that just getting the latest SpotifySetup.exe and reinstalling it fixed things.

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.