Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert Regular
maverickmusik

Spotify wont work

Period. 

Upon starting up my computer, it works for about 5 minutes. Usually, Ill play a song, then go to search for another artist and it will just continue searching indefinitly. When I close the program, it says Spotify is not responding. When the process is ended using windows task manager, I try to reopen it but it says Spotify is already running and wont reopen.

Id like to use the program again, as it is fantastic. But for some reason, just doesnt work for me anymore.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Peter
Kudos: 12,768
Solutions: 3,489

Re: Spotify wont work

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Would you be able to let us know what version of Windows you are using? 

If it is Windows 8, your best place to start hunting a solution is in the windows 8 troubleshooting topic. 

I would also suggest you try a clean reinstallation of the client to see if that helps.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
maverickmusik

Im running windows 7.

Peter

Did you try the clean reinstallation?

Peter

Peter

Concert Regular
maverickmusik

I uninstalled then reinstalled. It worked well for a few hours. Then I went to go back to using the program and Im getting the same error. It wont respond, so I close it then reopen and get the 'Spotify is already running. Close and try again' message.

Peter

Strange, a few things you can try.

- Right click on the Spotify icon and select "Run as Administrator" when you are wanting to use the program.

- Try unticking "Enable Hardware Acceleration" in the Edit > Preferences menu.

Peter

Peter

Concert Regular
maverickmusik

I appreciate your help, but neither have worked.

Peter

Hmmmm...

Does it freeze at any particular time, like when trying to play a local file for example? Or is it completely random? 

It is strange that it worked for a while after the clean reinstall, can you try that again but this time once you have installed again, navigate to Edit > Preferences > Cache > Use at most > Set to the smallest allowable value. What this will do is reduce the size of your local file cache, thereby reducing the upload bandwidth on your computer which I think might be causing this issue.

Peter

Peter

Concert Regular
maverickmusik

I changed the settings you reccommended in your last post. I even did a complete uninstallation (using REVO Uninstaller Pro to clean the registry of anything Spotify-related) and reinstalled using the latest .exe from the spotify website, yet still I am having issues. 

It works fine til i put my laptop on stand-by and return to it a few hours later. Then, it doesnt respond and simply wont work. So frustrating hahaa

Peter

I remember some people reporting stand by issues in the past, but not recently. 

The only thing I can think to suggest is to exit Spotify when you are putting your laptop into standby, not really a solution though!

Peter

Peter

Announcements
Rock Star Program
Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.