Close
Music Fan
gpop

SpotifyWebHelper - Constant pop ups Mac

Over the last week Spotfiy has started the mac has started to throw up the pop-up:

"SpotifyWebHelper wants to use your confidential information stored in "Spotify" in your Key Chain

It doesn't matter how many times you allow, deny or always allow it still continues to pop up every few seconds - annoyingly on top of any app you are working on.

After following a thread of error message pop-ups with the SpotifyWebHelper I followed instructions to remove the

"com.spotifywebhelper.plist" from Users/Admin/Library/LaunchAgents 

After 2 days it seems to have dropped another .plist in my LaunchAgents folder - is there anyway to prevent this long term?

Music Lover
Gracie

Re: SpotifyWebHelper - Constant pop ups Mac

I am having the exact same problem with Spotify on my Mac. I have completely removed the software from my computer and removed the program from start-up with no success. Please HELP! Um, does anyone work at Spotify that works to resolve these issues. It's concerning that there is no way to reach any type of support via phone with this company.  

Music Fan
KateP

this problem is completely disabling to my computer. I am not even able to launch Spotify in order to try to change the preferences to stop this background process from running. can someone at Spotify please fix this, or can some other Mac user who has successfully dealt with it tell us what the fix is??

Music Fan
incidentsandacc

I'm having this problem too! It's so infuriating I think I will have to stop using Spotify altogether :(

As far as I'm aware, the solution could be to go into Applications -> Keychain Access and change the keychain settings for Spotify, so that either it doesn't have access to the keychain at all, or it doesn't prompt you via a popup every couple of minutes. 

In my case I can't try this to see if it works because I (round of applause) deleted Keychain Access ages ago in annoyance, before finding out I should have just changed the settings to stop the popups.

Need to reinstall from scratch to get it back, and so far I haven't but now the popups have won.

Music Lover
Nicolio

I was having the same exact annoying problems today. I opened up my keychains app and clicked on "All Items" under Category on the left side of the main menu. I then deleted Spotify from there. I haven't been having any problems for the past 5 minutes. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

You can contact Spotify through the web only if you're having a problem. They get back to you via email within a day or less. 

Music Fan
fast_edi

I'm having the same problem. It's really annoying...

Music Lover
Gracie

I went through the process of removing Spotify from the Key Chain as well and this has worked for the past day and 1/2 at keeping the pop-ups away! I completely removed Spotify from my computer. I'm not sure yet if I will be reinstalling this again.

Music Fan
hopems

Thank you so much, this was driving me crazy!  On the Mac, the application you need is keychain access by the way.   I also deleted a bunch of other applications I didn't realize were authorized to the keychain.   You folks rock!

Music Lover
crigy

nothing works, not deleting the app, or deleting the keychain items.

if i have to reinstall my system i will be very sad, i have never had to do this before and i have had this mac book for about five years.

spotify seems to have several ways of humiliating users of older macs, is someone chuckling vindictively behind their bucket of money i wonder?

Music Lover
crigy

grumpy mac user seems to have answered his own angst,

i think i might have even seen the soloution out there- here it goes

open the spotify prefs and uncheck things

probably ...... allow spot to be started from the web

cheers 

sorry

Announcements
Win free Premium
We're fans of music around here. And amazing animated GIFs.
So, for our next competition we're combining the two.

Join our new contest here.

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.