Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
GMTA_nl
Accepted Solution

SpotifyWebHelper.exe running as background process

Since the last update a background process called 'SpotifyWebHelper.exe' is running. It seems to start at Windows startup - I haven't started Spotify yet.

Why is this process running?

Richard

Re: SpotifyWebHelper.exe running as background process

[ Edited ]

Hey, that's strange. It's nothing I'm aware of.

Do you have any third-party applications installed like Spotify Remote?

[EDIT: Actually, just seen it on my own computer. I'll look into this and let you know what it is!]

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
Music Lover
GMTA_nl

Nope, only got Spotify installed. According to regedit, it's started in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. I see no need for Spotify to run anything before I start the application itself...

Richard

Ok, I've asked around and what this is for is to help with pressing the play button in Facebook.

While this process is running clicking on a play button will start Spotify playing immediately, rather than face you with the 'do you have Spotify?' pop-up. So it's meant to create a smoother listening experience.

But there shouldn't be any harm in disabling it if you want to.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Concert Regular
lunboks

Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, if anyone else is wondering about the process: If you uncheck the "Allow Spotify to be started from the Web" option, it'll automatically disable the background process.

Music Fan
DomsDad

I cannot find this option.  Where do I uncheck it?

Richard

Right here in the Preferences (Edit > Preferences):

spotify.png

You might just need to scroll down a bit to get to it.

Concert Regular
Teol

That doesnt really do anything else then stop spotify from starting up on computer startup. Dont play dumb, we want to know how to disable your pathetic little gadget if we never use it anyway.

Music Fan
marcowy

Teol: read it again. Carefully.

Music Fan
Dieratte

How come they start up NINE (9) different SpotifyHelper.exe-procecces´s when Spotify is running? Seams wierd to me...

Spotify.jpg

Announcements

Beta test Spotify for iOS
Hi there.
Would you like a chance to beta test upcoming versions of Spotify for iOS? If the answer is a resounding "yes!" then please click here to read more.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.