Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stream Keeps Cutting Out

Stream Keeps Cutting Out

I had been using the free version of Spotify and noticed that the stream kept getting interrupted (pausing). At first you'd assume a bandwidth issue my end. Unlikely as I am in a City and have a consistent 10mb connection.

Anyway to be sure I tried a well known UK competitor beginning with D and there was no issue streaming from them.

Must be the free service? So I upgraded to unlimited, still getting an interrupted stream!

I followed the uninstall and cache clearing procedure, the reinstalled and still no joy.

Currently I have a Spotify account that is unlistenable (if that is such a word) and I am having to use D(UK) in the meantime.

Suggestions?

284 Replies

Hey seaneclark, welcome to the Community.

This could have something to do with your connection, even if the internet is a good 10mb. Spotify will require access in any firewall or antivirus software you have installed. So try giving that a go.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Thanks Richard, but no anti-virus running on my Mac and Spotify has access via Firewall

Hmm - Have you tried turning off the Firewall temporarily?
Airhorn Enthusiast

Turning off your firewall is just a rediculous suggestion...

Same here

During this last week I'm having trouble with Spotify. I'm a Premium User and if Spotify not soon does something about music pausing all the time, I certainly will skip Spotify.

Same here! getting sick of this. not paying for something that is faulty! either fix it or this app can go kiss my ####! stuff paying for this faulty kak

mine too…but only in the past few days. 

Can I add my +1 to this issue - been happening for the last week.   Start an album playing - will start off then stop - then continue  then stop.  Several times per track.

Some facts, before anyone asks.....

Yes, I've fully inistalled, deleted cache etc etc and re-installed.

I'm on OS X Lion.

I'm a Pro user.

Napster works fine.

Spotify worked great on the same albums till last week.

This is not Firewall related........

I've reported to the usual Spotify support channels, and got the usual response.  

Anyone any ideas?

+1

Also since a couple of days. Checked Firewall,Antivirus,CPU, memory, changed cachem changed to low-quality streaming, but all to no avail.  Doesn't seem time of the day dependent, and with all kinds of albums and playlists. No problems with own content through Spotify, so stream-side.

On Lion as Premium user

@nellie wrote:

+1

Also since a couple of days. Checked Firewall,Antivirus,CPU, memory, changed cachem changed to low-quality streaming, but all to no avail.  Doesn't seem time of the day dependent, and with all kinds of albums and playlists. No problems with own content through Spotify, so stream-side.

On Lion as Premium user

Can I ask where you're connecting from and which ISP you're with?

Actually if we could get that information from anyone else having this issue, that will help with our investigation.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Virgin Media in the UK - 100mb line - wired ethernet.

As an aside, Napster is still fine.

Also, the issue goes away if I add the tracks as a playlist, and play offline.

I have same problem.. Keep getting cut off after every single or second song.. 

I'm premium user and use it on Ipad, Iphone, Mac and Pc.. its the same all alround.. 

Am I aswell paying for something that dosent work?? Please get it to work now, else i have to end the payment on Paypal. Not paying for something that dosent work. 

Sorry I forgot to mention this:

Connecting with Ziggo as ISP from The Netherlands. 50 Mbps connection which is doing fine according to speedtest.net during the stutter problems.

Regarding the link to the new version of Spotify on desktop: I'll check if I'm on this latest version or not this evening and post back if this fixes or causes the problem.

@nellie wrote:

Regarding the link to the new version of Spotify on desktop: I'll check if I'm on this latest version or not this evening and post back if this fixes or causes the problem.

I seem to be on the latest version (version 0.8.3.222.g317ab79d).

As others also reported, I have similar problems on iPad 1 and iPhone 4 (both fully updated).

....Continuation previous post

Desktop app is via wired ethernet.

Btw:it seems the issue is escalating on the Mobile-iOS forum and Spotify is investigating...

This isn't an ISP issue, (I'm with Virgin) something has gone very wrong with Spotify recently. How can I stream 1080p video and Spotfiy can't play music without cutting out?

Something must have happened round about the time of the Ipad app launch which has stuffed things up

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I am on a dedicated 10Mb leased line at work and am bypassing all firewalls.  My internet at home is Virgin XL 30Mb.  Everything else is working find, however Spotify keeps stopping and starting.  Have reinstalled, deleted cache, even had a new computer.  Same problem.

PLEASE SORT THIS OUT SPOTIFY, ITS QUITE CLEARLY A SPOTIFY ISSUE.

Here's my reply from Spotify support:

We are aware of a potential problem with Spotify running slowly on certain ISP's this is due to a process called throttling which affects a number of peer to peer services including Spotify, unfortunately this is somewhat out of our hands. 

We will keep looking into this and keep our user posted.

If there is anything else we can help you with then let us know!

Thanks, 

Dan 

Spotify Customer Service 
I'm wondering: why has this problem not occured before? There have to be many other people through out the world, who has a Spotify Premium subscription and a certain  ISP connection. In my opinion, it is a problem Spotify CERTAINLY has to deal with NOW. The problem occurred at the same time as the Spotify update. I will not pay money for a service, that doesn't work.

Suggested posts