Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Fan
Sam_Cripps

Re: There is a problem with your sound card. Spotify can't play music.

I have an HP Beats Laptop, and changed the amount of bass in the settings. Once i had saved the changes it told me that my souncard had stopped working. I reverted the changes to no avail and then just quit and resrarted the program and it worked.

Music Fan
pat1947

I have a Dell and did the same thing with the bass. Then Spotify tells me I have a sound card issue. I went back and cahnged it to original setting & still have a notice of soundcard problems? Help anyone?

Sam
For your Spotifyes only
Name:
Department:
About me:

Pat1947 - Have you checked for any Windows updates at all?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Music Lover
ChrisBence

Here is how I fixed the problem with my Dell laptop:

Go to Control Panel and navigate your way to Device Manager.

Expand Sound, Video and game controllers.

My problem was with the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.  (Yours may be another device name.)  Even though the driver was up to date and the card works fine for other things (such as pandora), I had to unistall the device.

Right click your device and click Uninstall.  Click OK when it asks you if you are sure.

Now right click on the Sound, video and game controllers label and click 'scan for hardware changes'.  It should detect your hardware and automatically install the drivers.

If you have trouble re-installing your drivers, go to your computer manufacturers website and download the drivers and install them that way.

Music Lover
Rdocherty96

[ Edited ]

As pointed out by fiffy below it needs to be run as Administrator with default settings.

Another way is to change the permissions:

To change this go to Start and type %appdata% 

Press enter.

Go into the Spotify folder then right click spotify then click properties->security

Now Click Edit then Add. Type in Users and then click Check Names it should change your text to (pc name)\Users.

Click OK and then apply the change.

Hope this helps.

Music Fan
jjmax2012

I just had this same exact problem yesterday. I was trying to use my surround sound instead of my bose speakers and so I had to disable my bose speakers. By doing this I had to go to Control Panel>>Sound (May be different for users using other than Windows 7) This brings up all the possible devices to play music from. I had to plug in my surround sound to the audio jack in the front of my desktop. So what I did is I disabled the speakers, an set the audio jack/headphones to default audio device. Now when I was done using my surround sound, I wanted my speakers to be set as default again. So I set them to default, an I tried using spotify an it wouldnt work. I restarted the program an nada. After messing around with it a bit, I eventually just left my speakers set as default an restarted my whole computer which always helps in situations like this. An it worked perfectly. I would suggest others to make sure their wanted audio device to be set as default and restart the computer! As well as drivers an all windows updates are installed. All of these could be major issues to why your sound is not working with spotify.

Hope this helps if none of this wasnt already stated, I didnt exactly read all the replies.

Music Lover
gadg3ts

I've figured out a solution for my MOTU 828.

Open up the audio control panel and set the option for "Use Stereo pairs for Windows audio".

Then Spotify decided to work.

Although this does mean changing it back when I want to play anything in surround - using the multi-output device as it was intended.

So that suggests to me that the Spotify client doesn't handle multi-output interfaces terribly well.

But at least it works now ;)

/s

Music Fan
dralexia2004

I'm not understanding how to fix this problem.

Festival Fanatic
asvajlenkaiv

I tried to "Run as administrator and I still have the same problem (There is a problem with your soundcard. Spotify cant play music), but thanks for the input!

Festival Fanatic
asvajlenkaiv

I can understand how surround might throw off the program, but my soundcard is just stereo.  I can only think that Spotify just isn't compatible with the soundcard I use.  Does anyone know of a list of soundcards which are incompatible with Spotify?

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.