Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Per
Topics: 219
Kudos: 1,430
Solutions: 127
Accepted Solution

Trouble with Windows 8? Read this first.

[ Edited ]

While Windows 8 doesn't officially support Spotify yet, we are doing our best to help you get started with Spotify on windows 8.

First, try the official Compatibility Troubleshooter, as described by Microsoft here.

Also, here are some helpful tips from community members:
dpurcell2 suggested to try disabling the "UPnP Device Host" and "SSDP Discovery" services, then rebooting.

This seems to have helped some folks.

Windows 8 apparently has some issues rendering sound for certain applications. If you are having sound issues, here's a possible fix by ilija:

There's another fix that's worked for many people. Cribba posted a summary here.

If you have any issues with any version of Windows, please always check out the Windows Troubleshooting topic, which you can find here.

We'd also like to get an idea of what issues you are having with Windows 8, so please add your feedback here.
(Don't forget to add kudos to the first post!)

And last, but certainly not least, you can also give kudos to this Idea to add Windows 8 support.

I'm leavng this topic open and respectfully ask you to only reply if you have another possible fix to any Windows 8 issues.

Join me on twitter.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Get more storage space!
Music Lover
Cuthpaste

Re: Trouble with Windows 8? Read this first.

Disabling Internet Connection Sharing on my wifi connection in Windows 8 fixed this for me, and it's the only thing that worked. Unfortunately, I need to have that enabled, but it causes problems with the Cisco VPN service as well, so this doesn't appear to be specifically related to Spotify. These issues didn't exist in Windows 7.

Confirmed that re-enabling ICS caused Spotify to hang after 30 seconds or so, same as before. Disabling ICS fixes this 100% of the time for me.

Gig Goer
daewonshaun

How did you disable the internet sharing settings? Right click on connction status>Network and Sharing Center? Or charms Menu? Im confused haha, i know for a fact that in windows 8 you need to use the cmd terminal to enable ad hoc connections, any help would be great thanks (:

Music Fan
Oaknor

That did it, thanks!

here is a link to enabling ICS windows 8 isnt much different (you should be able to disable from this although if you dont know how to it shouldnt be enabled by default)

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

Music Lover
Simplicitley

Can someone help me? i keep trying to install spotify and it says error code 18 make sure it isn't running anywhere else. spotify worked once, it crashed, i uninstalled it and it still says its running in the background, it's not in processes in task manager or anything.. can someone please help me? and if i try deleting the spotify files it does the same thing.. and yes i have tried restarting my computer. this is really frustrating giving that i used spotify A LOT on my old computer.

Music Lover
Stoffelito

Thar is kind of crazy, but you are correct. ICS is the problem, or more correctly, Spotify´s handling of it...

Too sad I sometimes need ICS to use NAT network but that is less prioritized :)

Music Fan
Evinta90

I can't get spotify to work with windows 8 at all.. Very annoying hope this will be fixed soon! I install it on my computer and every time i try to hear a song the program crashes and i quit spotify. And when i try to open it again it says the program is already running which it is not. Too bad :(

Concert Regular
Cribba

''Disabling Internet Connection Sharing on my wifi connection in Windows 8 fixed this for me, and it's the only thing that worked''

I can confirm it worked for me too! Though disabling this ain't a good solution since i really need the sharing option.

Now when the problem have been identified I hope Spotify can release an update soon fixing this issue.

Concert Regular
Cribba

addon to my previous post.

After i switched the internet sharing to ''off'' i turned it back to ''on'' again and i still works!

With other words i can still have the sharing option enabled from now on.

Very strange bugg but it works (Atleast for me).

Music Fan
pietklep

Spotify Installer doesn't work in windows8, at least for me.

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.