We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.Learn more here

Close
Concert VIP
Accepted Solution

What Is Web Helper ?

As per title. And why do some people recommend preventing Spotify Web Helper from running.

Community Legend
licenced

Re: What Is Web Helper ?

Who recommends to prevent it running? First I've heard of it, and looking at the first page of Google results for it I see nothing obvious (apart from the standard ad-led pages recommending some kind of system scan to see if you have it, plus this post as hit number one)
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Gold Streaming Artist
hpguru

Spotify's Web Helper can start Spotify without any clicks.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Concert VIP

I would post a link but this forum doesn't seem to permit cut and pasting text -- so if you need to see who is recommending removing Web Helper I suggest Googling  "How to Remove Spotify Web Helper".  

I suspect the reason someone might want to remove it is explained in the response to the OP that Web Helper can start Spotify without any clicks.  

I prefer to decide what programs run on my computer rather than have stuff start uninvited. 

Perhaps someone could also explain the risks associated with the Peer2Peer aspects of Spotify.

Community Legend
licenced

When it says 'without any clicks' I don't think that's quite right. What it means is without you having to click on the Spotify icon to launch the program.

You still have to click a Play button within a webpage, which calls a special format link that WebHelper then understands to launch Spotify to play the track you wanted. Disabling WebHelper will disable this functionality - so even when you click a Play button on a website you will not get to hear that track unless you manually open Spotify and possibly manually search for and select that track from within the app.

----------------
Concert VIP

"You still have to click a Play button within a webpage, which calls a special format link that WebHelper then understands to launch Spotify to play the track you wanted. Disabling WebHelper will disable this functionality - so even when you click a Play button on a website you will not get to hear that track unless you manually open Spotify and possibly manually search for and select that track from within the app."

Thanks for the above. Sounds exactly how I'd prefer to do things.  IF I could stop Web Helper running -- but even killing it in the Windows Registry results in it respawning. And the prefetch file can't  be deleted even in Windows Safe Mode.  I have to say I don't like software that is so invasive.

Now, back to the Peer2Peer issue. 

Community Legend
licenced

Hey, just found this thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/SpotifyWebHelper-exe-running-as-background-process/m...

With this advice: 

lunboks wrote:
By the way, if anyone else is wondering about the process: If you uncheck the "Allow Spotify to be started from the Web" option, it'll automatically disable the background process.

----------------
Announcements
Win free Premium
This contest is now closed. The winners will be posted here very soon.

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.