Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
Mikke

What does followers when browsing an artist mean?

Hi,

I noticed in the new spotify release that when an artist i browsed it shows "Followers - 150" for example.
What is this value based on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter
Kudos: 11,639
Solutions: 3,221

Re: What does followers when browsing an artist mean?

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

It does exactly what it says, shows the number of followers that artist has ;) 

In the new client, it is possible to follow your favourite artists so you get notified when they add content or make changes to their playlists in your activity sidebar. Its actually a really cool feature I think.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Lover
Mikke

[ Edited ]

Hello Peter,

thank you for your reply, but I'm looking at an quite small artist and it's not possible that they already have manually 300 followers(after new spotify release), it has to be someway have been automitaccly followers of the band.
If that's the case, what is it that makes a user automatticly follow an artist?

thanks

Peter
Kudos: 11,639
Solutions: 3,221

Yeah, when the clients where updated to the new version, they seemed to follow some artists automatically. I am not sure where this data came from, it might have been tracks from your starred or other playlsits but I don't know! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter spoti.fi/meetpeter

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Radio Star
AbsolutelyNoFB

hammeh wrote:

Yeah, when the clients where updated to the new version, they seemed to follow some artists automatically. I am not sure where this data came from, it might have been tracks from your starred or other playlsits but I don't know! 

Peter

The new version of Spotify automatically "follows" artists if you play their music (possibly only if the artist is also in a playlist of yours). There was no notification or explanation of this "feature".

The new version of Spotify of course doesn't tell the user when the user is added as a "follower". I found after using the new client briefly, I was "following" 20 bands without ever having elected to do so.

Why Spotify is forcing Twitter-like social features on their users... is beyond me. But Spotify has always been into forcing their customers to do things versus asking them.

“Mediocrity is always in a rush; but whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing with consideration. For genius is nothing more nor less than doing well what anyone can do badly.” -- Amelia E. Barr

Radio Star
AbsolutelyNoFB

Mikke wrote:

Hi,

I noticed in the new spotify release that when an artist i browsed it shows "Followers - 150" for example.
What is this value based on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would also add that this new feature means that Spotify will now be selling even more of your user data to the record companies and other companies that are involved in the music industry. Without any user choice whatsoever.

Music Fan
volodd

Is there any way to see who is following an artist? I'd like to know to see who else they might be listening to, might be a great way to discover new music.
Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.
If you'd like to join, please make sure you read the attached pdf file and fill out this form:
Please log in (or register) to see the link.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.