Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert Regular
andersbrun
Accepted Solution

What happened to the stars?

Ehhh I'm so confused (and annoyed) right now... why did you take away the "star" and make it a weird "save" button instead? Now all of my 12000 starred songs are in an own playlist and I'm not even able to search after songs and artist (in the playlist)... It used to be library but now it's just a new thing called "saved" where I have 0 songs... why did you guys ruin it all like this? :( 

Peter
Kudos: 12,498
Solutions: 3,433
I'm a Community Rock Star

Re: What happened to the stars?

It sounds like you have the new Your Music (previously called collections) feature. It is the next generation of content management on Spotify, meaning you can save albums and artists directly without the need to add them to a playlist. Starred as a special playlist does continue to live alongside the collections features.

Seems like a big change, but I for one quickly learned to prefer it over starred playlist alone.

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Concert Regular
andersbrun

But normally I just "saved" my songs to my library by "starring" them... This made it all more organized and easier to find the songs/albums/artists I was looking for... When a playlist contains 12000 songs, it's pretty hard to find that one song you're looking for or that one album that you don't remember the name of 100%! I just don't get why this "save" feature will make anything better for anyone??? And do you know how to remove it and go back to the old one?:)

Award Winning Artist
hpguru

There is no option to go back. Crying

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Peter
Kudos: 12,498
Solutions: 3,433

You can easily import all of your starred tracks (highlight them all, drag into "Songs" under Your Music") and then essentially the songs tab is the same as your current library and you can then "save" (equivalent of starring) tracks, but also albums.

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Lover
TysonDude

Where did my stars go? Star function is missing...

This happened a few months ago on my wife's computer, and now it has occurred on my machine.  I no longer can star items (or unstar them) as the star icon has gone missing.

I now have a plus (+) symbol that does some unknown function.  When I click it, it changes between a plus (+) symbol to a checkmark and a red x.  I have searched quite a bit for a solution - even tried reinstalling.  Where has the star function gone??

Merik
Kudos: 499
Solutions: 142

Re: Where did my stars go? Star function is missing...

[ Edited ]

Hey there! 

The feature has been removed due to the upcoming feature of "Your Music". When clicking the "plus sign" it adds the song or album to "Your Music" which is basically a collection of music - think iTunes. Sadly the star buttonis gone...for now. To add something to your starred playlist right click the song (or click the three dots) > Hover over "Add to..." > Click "Starred".  

Spotify Rewards Card Last.fm Spotify Integrate Soundwave

Don't forget to add your kudos below!Big smile

Music Lover
TysonDude

Re: Where did my stars go? Star function is missing...

Unfortunate that it has been removed.  I enjoyed the simplicity of the star feature.

I guess I need to embrace change and learn the new functionality - hopefully it is for the better.

Thank you for the quick response.

Community Manager
Rorey

[ Edited ]

@andersbrun @Peter @hpguru 

Thanks for the feedback guys. We're excited to see what you think of Your Music so we appreciate the responses. 

Some of you have noticed that the star icons next to tracks have been replaced by a little plus sign. The new plus icon is for adding music to Your Music. You can still add songs to your "Starred" list by right clicking any track, selecting "Add to", then adding it in the starred list. 

Your Music, previously known as Collection, is in many ways Starred 2.0. Our thinking around Your Music has been that adding music to Collection serves a similar purpose to starring a track. Yet we also recognize that adding a song to your Collection is somewhat different from what many people used the Starred list for today, so if you're a Starred user and don't feel that Your Music fills the void of starred, please tell us why!

Fun fact: When the starred feature was originally created it was called "Collection" before we changed the name to "Starred". 

We're always trying new things and we've been waiting for the community response since we built this. Please share with us your patterns around starred in the comments. If you feel that starred cannot be replaced by Your Music, tell us why here. We're listening.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
Award Winning Artist
hpguru

[ Edited ]

I like new option to Collect stuff. However I add only albums into it. No singles. Big smile

I think that when you removed star option, the whole Starred list is now useless. I would remove the whole Starred list. If someone want to star something, can add playlist for it. I don't use starred playlist much, my playlist and collection doing job better.

So Rorey, please consider to remove this Starred list completely. Wink

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Announcements
Happy Halloween

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.