Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Festival VIP
Esben
Accepted Solution

Where are 'available offline' files stored?

Hi,

I cannot find out where the tracks are stored on my PC when I push the botton 'Avilable Offline'.

The thing is that it seems that the  tracks are stored on a drive that does not have so much space. And I want to change the place where these 'Available offline' tracks are stored. Also, is this possible?

Thans for your input.

Esben

Award Winning Artist
hpguru
I'm a Community Rock Star

Re: Where are 'available offline' files stored?

Hey there Esben!

Files are stored in Spotify cache. You can find and also change path to this cache in Preferences (Edit - Preferences or CTRL + P).

Hope this works for you!

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Festival VIP
Esben

Thanks a lot for the reply.

An additional question: Is it correctly understood that the 'local settings'  are hidden when you try to access them via the file administration system from Windows? So you can only see  the folder when you access it via the 'Browse' botton in the Cache settings?

Esben

Award Winning Artist
hpguru

[ Edited ]

Hey,

Yes. AppData is hidden by default in Windows. You can delete Spotify Cache in AppData when you change path to another folder in a bigger hard drive.

Cheers.

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Spotify
David

[ Edited ]

Esben - You can also change the folder viewing settings within Windows Explorer to show hidden folders. Click on "Organize" in the top left, select "Folder and Search Options" and then click on the "View" tab. Click on "Show hidden folders, files and drives" and you should be able to browse there as normal.

-----
Spotify
Festival VIP
Esben

Thanks a lot both. 

Spotify Legend
Jude

Note that, if you change the location of the streaming/offline cache, all offline playlists will have to be re-synced.

In case you had been thinking of storing your cache on an external drive, I haven't heard any really positive reports about that. It may be OK if the drive is always connected. Largely though, I think it will confuse the encryption authentication, and lead to headaches.

Music Lover
Jumper54

If i'm not connectd to WiFi and I'm listening to a song that is available offline am I streaming?

Peter
Kudos: 12,498
Solutions: 3,433

Hey! Welcome to the community :)

If you are not connected to the internet, and your client is in offline mode then you are not streaming as it would be impossible.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Yoda and Bug Whisperer

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Fan
Sk8-freezer

I have the same thing that my hard drive is almost out of space and I don't think I need the 'available offline' any more.
So my question is if I uncheck the available offline button, will the songs be deleted or do I have to do it manually and if I do which files more exact is the ones that I should delete?

Announcements
Happy Halloween

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.