Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Concert VIP
Uberjannie

Why is Spotify chugging upload bandwidth when it is not streaming and why does it do that at all?

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I have been using Spotify for many years now, but what is weird is that it keeps using upload and maxing out my upload on my connection even if Spotify is not streaming. 

Monday to Friday I work as a system administrator for a large corporation and likes listening to music when I do my chores, but I noticed spikes in upload bandwidth when using Spotify; Why did it upload loadfull of data when it's primary function was to stream DOWN music. It is not P2P after all. 

To test this I went home, cleared most of my services which requires an Internet Connection and launched Spotify. I made sure all the options which could "call home" in preferences were turned off, like Facebook and publishing top artist and tracks.

Then I tested to see if anything on my computer used bandwidth without Spotify running and there were minimum data in/out:

Just a few keep alive pings were done, here are a few screens which shows a graph of upload / download. Tested it for about 5 minutes and in that time, not a single spike of upload more than 5KB/sec was made: Here are some screens, note that each length of the graph is estimated 2 minutes:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

As you can see, no usage of bandwidth. Now it is time to Launch spotify and check resmon for activity + check network traffic to monitor the hidden traffic usage by Spotify:

Launched Spotiy As you can see, Spotify has now launched, there was a small spike in download, which was to be expected, note that the song is on pause (resumed from last state I guess).  

Waiting As you now see, Spotify is not using any Download or Upload, which is the way it should be since it is paused.

First spike just four minutes in, you see a "small" spike in upload usage, but this is only about 1/4 of what my home connection can survive, since I use a 20/2 ADSL connection. Quickly ran a Netstat to see if any hidden services would chunk bandwidth; No there wasnt. 

Second spike just around 45 seconds after the first one. Now this spike dips into my max speed 300KB/s, which is basically killing my entire Internet connection. 

It continues to spike like that ever minute or two after that, which is pretty bad for my Internet experience; Especially so since I game and when it maxes out my output bandwidth I go from 20ms ping to about 600+, and makes it unplayable. 

Just to be sure it was Spotify, I turned it to offline mode while it started to spike, and the upload was killed instantly.

Community Legend
licenced

Re: Why is Spotify chugging upload bandwidth when it is not streaming and why does it do that at all

Uberjannie wrote:

Hi.

I have been using Spotify for many years now, but what is weird is that it keeps using upload and maxing out my upload on my connection even if Spotify is not streaming. 

Monday to Friday I work as a system administrator for a large corporation and likes listening to music when I do my chores, but I noticed spikes in upload bandwidth when using Spotify; Why did it upload loadfull of data when it's primary function was to stream DOWN music. It is not P2P after all. 

<snip> 

Sorry, but it is P2P - thats how Spotify spreads it's content rather than through a single set of servers. Makes for a much more consistent user experience in terms of getting music seamlessley, but does lead to the issues you mention with use of bandwidth. Would be nice to have a setting that allowed the user to set a maximum upload amount like in other P2P applications.

D

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Concert VIP
Uberjannie

Re: Why is Spotify chugging upload bandwidth when it is not streaming and why does it do that at all

I have never read that it is a p2p program, but there you go. Does not that make the point of paying for premium rediculous? 

I will find a way to choke it/kill it. Maybe I will just go back to WiMP, even though they use the most crappy platform imaginable (Adobe Air).

I would admit that it's just crappy programming to let a program max out the output of an Internet Connection. "smart" programming would make spotify test for upload limit, then use about 1/6 of it. But maybe since I pay for premium, the crappy programmers might get a few courses on p2p enforcing then? Heres for hoping. 

Award Winning Artist
hpguru
I'm a Community Rock Star

Spotify use a P2P because it's cheap to you this way. Server costs aren't free.

Why YouTube is free? Ads on YouTube via AdSense. Spotify's way is Unlimited/Premium customers and from your month fee: money to right holders, server costs, employees etc.

However, I suggested Game mode to Spotify. Vote for it!

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Game-mode-for-Spotify/idi-p/57993

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Concert VIP
Uberjannie

[ Edited ]

You cannot just accept that they use P2P, if they do not know how to implement it! I have nothing against sharing my upload, but I do not share my upload if Spotify uses 100% of it. They have turned the tables and they share my OWN Internet with me, when they so please by not utilizing 100% of my upload.

20% would be just fine. There are no exscuses for bad programming/attitude like this. Imagine if Microsoft did the same with Windows Update. Or if Steam did the same with games.  It is OK to some extent, but by using 100% of the uload they are overstaying their welcome; 100% upload, caps out an ADSL connection, everything you do on the web when that happens makes you feel like you use an 64kbsec dialup. 

Award Winning Artist
hpguru
I'm a Community Rock Star

[ Edited ]

You can read more about P2P in Spotify:

http://pansentient.com/2011/04/spotify-technology-some-stats-and-how-spotify-works/

Spotify for music listening, user since April 2009. Netflix for movie watching, user since July 2013. 100M/5M cable modem and 21M/5M mobile network. Pimp your life with streaming everywhere!
Community Legend
Stupify

I'm actually wondering: why can't they give Premium users an option to turn off uploading? They're paying for the service with money. Those in their free 6 month trial could be forced to upload as their "payment" to the service.

Festival VIP
jaeeonr

This is something that i hate about spotify. However, you can block it: http://kzar.co.uk/blog/view/blocking-spotify-p2p-connections (mac only)

http://mrlithium.blogspot.com/2011/10/spotify-and-opting-out-of-spotify-peer.html

I used second method and I haven't tested yet but it seems to be working.

Concert VIP
Uberjannie

I was currently building myself a whitelist in order to see which port to allow.

This link you sent, seems to solve this for me already. I will see if it works. Thanks =)

I would have allowed Spotify to use about 20% of upload, but maxing my upload simply kills my ADSL. 

Music Fan
Funnybear

[ Edited ]

Just want to chip in on saying that this really needs to be fixed from spotify's side. The spotify client is lethal to have running while playing online games, and it's a bit annoying to pay 100 NOK a month for a program I can't use while playing games online. I am close to not bothering using it anymore because it's so limiting, which is really frustrating, as it really is the only good legal alternative out there. (WIMP just has the most horrible platform, and the worst GUI I've seen in ages. WHO THE HELL USES CODER WHITE AS A BACKGROUND?)

So, I really want to keep using spotify, but the upload thing really ruins a lot for it. 

Oh, and it's kinda crappy of you that by being so kind as to download the songs we listen to the most, so you save server bandwidth, we get punished by getting our upload ruined... Seriously, fix this. 

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.