Help - Desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Music Lover
hdgilliam
Accepted Solution

Yet Another "Spotify Not Playing Music" Problem

So the problem itself is pretty simple: Spotify will not play any local music files, radio, or any music at all. I can click on the song to play and it'll load the info in the bottom left, however the actual song timer/slider will sit at 00:00 and nothing seems to work as far as getting it to play.

Looking around it seems quite a few people are having this problem as well.

I've tried the usual disabling hardware accelerator and cross fading, neither worked.

I unistalled and did a fresh install, didn't work.

Any ideas or what information you need?

Music Lover
TexMex657

Re: Yet Another "Spotify Not Playing Music" Problem

Having the exact same problem.

Music Fan
michelangelo

My Spotify has been wonky for months. There has been all kinds of problems, but now it doesen't seem to work at all.

It freezes if i open Spotify, try to play a song, or it will work just fine until a change playlist that is.
When Spotify isn't freezing up, it won't play songs. It will load up, but not go anywhere from the beginning of the song. Sometimes i will get the sngs to play by jumping a bit in the song, but it still won't play the song that comes after.

What's going on? It's ben like this for months. No other application is making my PC freeze. I've restarted Spotify and my computer several times, but still it won't work.
I'm currently reinstalling Spotify, as it won't work at all anymore. Hopefully it will work some.

Spotify, fix it please?!
Music Lover
dylanmiles

I am getting no sound, the track plays but is muted. The volume on spotify and my computer is turned up and works fine for everything but Spotify.

Concert VIP
ebbo

Yeap, this has been happening to me as long as i can remember. However, it only used to happen once a week (maybe even less). The last couple of weeks it has been happening a lot more (two times a day is not uncommon). Restarting spotify solves the problem for me so i doubt that it has to do anything with my connection.

On the mac forums people are complaining about the exact same thing. And if it isnt OS specific maybe the problem lies elsewhere? I've send a email to support to see if they're aware of the problem and if so, what they're planning to do about it. Ill post their answer as soon as they get back to me. 

Spotify
David

There seems to be a number of different issues here - I'll try and handle them all.

dylanmiles - Make sure that Spotify is running. Then go here:
Start > Control Panel > Sound / Adjust system volume

See if Spotify has its own volume channel in the Volume Mixer. If it does, see that the level is high, and that it's not muted.

For most other issues, are you running any Firewalls, or using an internet proxy at all?

If it's a firewall, try adding Spotify to it's "Allow" list. That might help.

Another thing you might want to try is ensuring that Quicktime is installed on your computer. Bizarrely, this appears to have worked in some cases.
-----
Spotify
Music Lover
dylanmiles

Went to volume mixer. The volume level in the lower left corner is at max. All settings are max. The only sound im not getting is Spotify, all other sounds working fine WMP, itunes, internet ect. ect. Ive checked settings within my sound card,anti-virus settings,ect. ect.

Music Lover
TexMex657

Don't know if the previous solution was meant for everyone but just as a FYI just in case, all volume settings max, no firewall. Now no songs are playing. They never seem to start in spotify after I select them.

Cheers!

Concert VIP
ebbo

[ Edited ]

Any updates on this issue? Happened again just now. I'm not sure if there is a correlation but this time it happened after spotify had been paused for a while. Maybe that's something to look for?

EDIT: no answer from the support team yet.

Concert VIP
gms49

Same exact problem.  It is not a volume issue at all....it simply does not PLAY.  Slide the bar.  Nothing.  go from 0.00 to 0.002, nothing.  It's like the "play" "button" is broken.  MADDENING.  Support of course, has not responded to me either.  Could SOMEONE HELP???!!!!!

Announcements

Want to be a Rock Star?
Read about our Rock Star Program.

Did you know?

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.