Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

cannot delete song from library?

Solved!

cannot delete song from library?

When I select either the album or song in the library the delete is greyed out, am I missing something?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I missed songs that are also in playlists.  Are the songs that are in your library also in any of your playlists?  If so, removing them from the playlist should also remove them from the library.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Have you tried to reinstall and then again install Spotify?

Marked as solution

Hey,

If you want to delete track, delete it form Starred or Playlists.

64 Replies

The Spotify Library is comprised of either local files, or starred tracks.  Deleting them through the Spotify interface is not possible.  If the song you wish to remove from your library is a starred track, simply unstar it.  If it is a local track, you will need to manually delete the track, or deselect the location the track is in on the Spotify Preferences screen.  To get there, click the Edit menu, and select Preferences.  Scroll to the Local Files area, and uncheck whichever option that points to the location where the files are you wish to remove.

The songs that I have in my library are neither starred nor local, I suppose I will star all the songs I want and just view music through the starred tab?
Marked as solution

I missed songs that are also in playlists.  Are the songs that are in your library also in any of your playlists?  If so, removing them from the playlist should also remove them from the library.

I have songs in my library that were starred but I have unstarred them, but they are still there.  They are not in any of my playlists.  When I press the delete or backspace button nothing happens.  when i right click the 'delete' option is faded.  please help. thanks

exactly, a greyed out delete button when I want to delete a song from the library, please make a way to make them go away.

Hi, I have the same problem. Everything in my preferences is unticked, I have deleted all playlists. Still a lot of songs in my library and favourites that cannot be deleted.

Would you be so kind to help me (us) out?

Thanks in advance,

Annette

I deleted a song from a playlist about a month ago, have restarted and updated Spotify multiple times since then, but the song still shows up in my ilbrary. It's not in the playlist and I don't have it in another playlist.

Marked as solution

Have you tried to reinstall and then again install Spotify?

Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it.

In the meantime I have manually 'unstarred' all 400+ songs one by one in my favourites listing and by doing this, the songs automatically dissappear from the library. That finally did the job.

Good luck with yours!

By the way, the service itself is groundbreaking, I never wish to by a cd again!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'favourites listing' but unstarring the tracks hasn't worked for me. I think anyway, we shouldn't have to resort to that in order to get rid of tracks we don't want anymore, we should just be able to delete them!

It is absolutely ridicules that it is so hard to delete a track. What is this greyed delete option business about ? I am paying for Spotify, and I cant even choose what's on my playlists...... Sorry to be negative but it's really amateuristic 

Marked as solution

Hey,

If you want to delete track, delete it form Starred or Playlists.

The songs I want to delete are not starred or in any playlist. They are only in the cue

Do you have playlists you subscribed to? Also in Library Spotify can show all song you purchased in Spotify, Local files etc.

No, I have not subscribed to or bought this album. I actually really dislike it that's why I want it off my que.

That's odd! I have empty Library. I listen a lot albums, radio and search views.

Try re-installing the app.

The random extra songs or albums are most likely the sample music that came installed on your PC (and yes, they're usually crap). You can do one of 3 things to "delete" them from your Spotify Library. 

1. In Spotify, go to Edit and then Preferences. Uncheck Windows Music Library and Windows Media Player as sources from which to display music.

2. If you want to use Win. Music Libraray and Win. Media Player as source folders for Spotify, move the unwanted tracks/albums to a different folder on your PC - move them out of the folder for Windows Music and/or Windows Media Player.

3. Delete the unwanted tracks/albums from the Sample Music folder under My Music on your PC.

You shouldn't need to uninstalling and reinstall Spotify then. Hope that helps!

Hey, heatherirene. Thank you for your time! And welcome to the Community. Can not come to my mind this - because this is first thing I do, when starting computer first time: I delete all those sample songs, pictures and videos.

Suggested posts