Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 13

Solved!

error code 13

I'm trying to download it and right as it gets to the point of running the installer it says "the installer is unable to install Spotify because the necessary files could not be created (error code 13) I've tried everything I know how to do, apparently it's a Protocol issue, but I don't know. Someone help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@HavingProblems wrote:

I am having this same issue, but when I turn off anti-virus and Firewall I get error code 11. When I tried using IE I got error code 50. 

What should I do? 

Have you tried using this installer?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Whoever developped this application should be trained on proper programming. Run it in Windows XP compatibility mode and it will work fine. It might prompt you everytime you launch it, but until the Spotify CTO understands how to program Windows applications, that would be your only choice. Attached is a screen capture for the compatibility mode. If it disapears : - right click the Spotify icon and select Properties - Select the Compatibility tab - Click the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows XP (Service pack3) Good luck.

Capture.JPG
Marked as solution

This was how I fixed the error code 13 problem with the help from a spotify agent, very simple! To prevent problems ensure you uninstall your current version of Spotify, I'm assuming this will work with Windows 8 also. Hopefully this works for you guys too, goodluck!

"Spotify was working fine on my windows 10 laptop for at least 5 months now. Now all of a sudden I'm getting a error code 13 message when trying to install. Why it was trying to install it is beyond me, unless it was an update. Either way I've checked the community help sections and the proposed solutions do not work. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling! Have you any solutions that may help? Thanks (paying subscriber)

Rianna V at 15:54, Dec 18:
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with Spotify on your device. Please give me a few minutes to check things out for you. Also, may I ask have you downloaded the app on the Spotify website or the app store?

James at 16:00, Dec 18:
After i uninstalled spotify, i couldnt reinstall it from the spotify website
shall i try the app store?

Rianna V at 16:01, Dec 18:
Yes please.

James at 16:03, Dec 18:
Fabulous thats worked now 😄

Rianna V  at 16:04, Dec 18:
That's great!"

61 Replies

What version of Windows are you using?

Vista Home Premium

Are you using an administrator account, or a normal user account?  Have you tried running the installer with elevated privileges (Right click installer, left click on 'Run as administrator')?

Eh messin around with it led me into a bunch of other stuff wrong with this machine lol. thanks for the help I'm going to try to fix these errors and if I still can't get it to work I'll be back. I appreciate it.

I had this same problem after a system restore. "Run as Administrator" was not the solution because it tells you not to!. I used Agent Ransack to find and delete all folders associated with Spotify including:

C:\Users\[My account]\AppData\Local\Spotify

C:\Users\[My account]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

C:\Users\[My account]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\M2VPUL8R\www.spotify.com
C:\Users\[My account]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#www.spotify.com

Then I was able to download and re-install spotify. After logging in, it looks like I still have all my playlists.

Hi, I am getting error code 13 and can't install spotify on this computer.  I'm downloading using chrome and then even try the right click mentioned above but don't get the "run as administrator" option.  The login I have says it is an administrator when I look at User profiles in Control Panel.

Any Help would be appreciated.  

@ Rob.....Thanks dude ,this was the fix!!!! Right on!!!!

I did downoload Agent Ransack and I finnally could install Spotify. You're the man!

Unable to re-install Spotify - have tried all of the above suggestions, but to no avail.  Each attempt, it grids away for a few minutes displaying the installer meter, then it kicks out to error #13 about not being able to write files. Am running Win 7 on a new Dell 64 bit machine. have cleaned all Spotify file references out prior to each install attempt.  I have not touched the registry yet.  Any help or further suggestions would be most appreciated.  have re-booted a couple of times during this process, but that doesn't seem to have an effect.

Richardm

Can you try using the full installer package from http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe and make sure you are running it by right clicking and select "Run as Administrator". Also try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or security software you have running. 

Peter

Peter

Hello Peter,

Tried all of the above suggestion, but to no avail - same ERR 13 result.  Re-booted, downloaded the full install version from the provided link, removed all remnents of Spotify, turned off all anti-virus type programs.  Tried to run as Admin, but would not allow me to.  Ran under normal user account, but same result.

Thanks for the input regardless,

Richardm

This might sound like a strange request, but does it work if you boot into safe mode to run the installer? 

Peter

Peter

Peter,

I can give that a try... I'm getting desperate.  I'm running out of ideas - there is obviously something preventing the install - just don't know the secret yet.

Thanks,

Richardm

Hi Peter,

Well, I decided to try the install once more before doing the Safe Mode thing - cleaned out the files and references and ran the SpotifyFullSetup.exe again - and... showhow it worked this time!  I'm still puzzeled as to exactly what the issue was preventing the install for all the failed attempts in the past - would like to know for future reference and knowledge.  But I'm good to go for now...

Thanks again for your help.

Richardm

I am having this same issue, but when I turn off anti-virus and Firewall I get error code 11. When I tried using IE I got error code 50. 

What should I do? 

Marked as solution

@HavingProblems wrote:

What should I do? 

Have you tried using this installer?

Peter

Peter

I had the same problem- Error Code 13, and then Error Code 11 when I tried a different installer.

The solution is right-clicking on the installer and clicking on "Troubleshoot compatibility." This did the trick for me.

I tried that, but I't told me that I need more permissions to delete C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming, even though I'm on the admin account. 

MS go to great lengths to protect us from ourselves but you should be able to give yourself full permissions to do stuff with this foolder. Right click on the folder and select properties then go to the security tab. Click the Edit button and highlight your username then mark the "full control" box and apply.

Suggested posts